Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Atik 314L+ Hot Pixels

MikeWilson

Hi all,

Please could any 314 (or H9) owners let me know your impressions of this dark image? It seems to have rather more hotspots on it than I'd expect from a 285-based chip.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3717210/dark%2060_001.fit

Maybe I've been spoilt with my relatively noise and hot pixel free QHY8L?

All the best,

Mike

314 hot pixels:

post-18683-133877733275_thumb.jpg

QHY8L hot pixels (for comparison):

post-18683-133877733283_thumb.jpg

Are they both the same length exposures? Was the cooling on etc?

According to FITS liberator, yes. 60 seconds and cooling to "0".

Wont darks take care of the hot pixels anyway?

And yes, the 8L is very very noise and hot pixel free!

The QHY8L doesn't get enough recognition, honestly. There are a couple of gotchas with it like any camera once you get to used to using it it all becomes clear. But the sensor is clean as a whistle with so few hot pixels that I know them all by name. The 314L+ then, comes a bit of a shock like a mob of unwanted guests crashing a party.

If you tell us the cooling & exposure length I'll take a comparison shot for you.

Is this your Atik Mike???

0 degrees, 60 seconds.

It will be my Atik on Tuesday :)

Off the top of my head I see nothing to worry about. 'Use a hot pixel filter and forget about it,' would be my advice.

Olly

I had some strange behaviour (the resulting images seemed to be noiser) in DSS when I used the cosmetic tab to remove hot pixels. But thanks for your encouraging advice.

You want to see some hot pixels on the 383, but the 314 is a fraction of that...

What set point cooling did you set on it ? I had mine usually running min -25C

Nadeem.

I've heard that raw images from the Kodak sensors can be pretty scary looking...

Thanks all for the advice. I'm going for it - see you fellow Atik owners next week :(

All the best,

Mike

You just caught me shooting some flats for my RC, so here you go Mike, 60 sec 0C.

I normally run mine at -25 when imaging, there are no issues with condensation etc like the QHY.

Very nice choice of camera, you are in for some fun!

post-18298-133877733554_thumb.jpg

Archived