Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Zenithstar 80

Thanks for the possitive post John :)

Ill compare it on the basis of previously owning the ZS 80ED II which was a good little scope, i managed to see M31 with it albeit the tiniest faint grey smudge, but....i still saw it and gave me goosebumps.

The widefield view i had with some SWA EP's were amazing to, i said in a previous post, ill be happy to just get out and spend some time under the stars with my better half and share some knowledge about astro-physics with her LOL (in 1 ear out the other)

Ill be happy with the scope, i know i will.

I have a 350D on the way as well (bit of a bargain as well!) Now i really need to get a good mount and its a toss up between....

CG5-GT

EQ5 Pro Synscan

Views and thoughts? :(

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I meant is that this was advertised as an Apochromat which it appears to not be.

That is false advertising and therefore you are entitled to withdraw from your contract with the seller and save yourself £100 or more.

Ahhh ok :) thought it was a bit of a negative comment, my apologies :(

I think ill stick with it purely on the basis of a) i dont want hassle of sending to and fro and :D it comes with accessories and its not really a BAD scope :p

Its from a good maker and has a better focuser than expected, so cant really moan :mad:

Eddy, if you Google the scope you will find a lot of info and some good write ups from the Cloudy Nights forum, but at the end of the day, what you have purchased seems to be the Achro cemented doublet and not an ed/apo as advertised, as you want it for AP, although I have not ventured into the dark side yet, from what I have read you may encounter some colour problems with your end results. As has been pointed out, if you want to change your mind, you have recourse to challenge the seller and recover your money :)

• 8 years later...
On 17/02/2012 at 17:38, FLO said:

It is an f6.8 doublet with an FPL-51 ED element

Tim from WO told me it was FPL-53, not FPL-51 on the ZS 80 FD Black & Gold edition I have.

I don't know for the Red edition.

FPL-53 is far more effective (Abbe number = 94.93) than FPL-51 Abbe number = 81.54). The higher Abbe number the better to reduce color dispersion and color aberration. The Abbe number of fluorite (CaF2) glass is about 95, just slightly above FPL-53.

Edited by Fred_76