Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

bamboo

rowan46

My other hobby is cycling. one of the innovations that have come along in bikes recently is bamboo frames. I have never tried one but they are supposedly stiffer and better at absorbing vibration than steel, only lighter. I know that they use bamboo scaffolding in china, but has anyone tried bamboo legs in their tripod? Do they work?

I'm a cyclist too. Bamboo frmes? Egad! I've just switched to full carbon in my cycling dotage after a lifetime on steel.

The thing about wooden tripod legs is that they are inert, inherently damped. Bamboo is hollow and might be a bit resonant, no?

Olly

Isn't this what they say about steel bike frame :icon_scratch:

I'm not sure, do they? I thought the idea was that they were stiff and responsive but able to soak up some road shocks. Alloy tended to be stiff and responsive but with a habit of being skittish over small scale irregularities. My last steel, 853, rattled my teeth out. The Carbon frame is responsive but rides like a laid back tourer over the bumps. I felt that the roads round here (France) had all been resurfaced when I first rode it! Quite literally.

Olly

The thing about wooden tripod legs is that they are inert, inherently damped. Bamboo is hollow and might be a bit resonant, no?

Also, make sure you keep a bamboo tripod dry. Bamboo can grow incredibly quickly [reference] so if you leave your tripod out in the wet, it might take root and be way too tall to use after a day or two.

Dunno if that applies to bamboo bikes, too?

Also, make sure you keep a bamboo tripod dry. Bamboo can grow incredibly quickly [reference] so if you leave your tripod out in the wet, it might take root and be way too tall to use after a day or two.

Dunno if that applies to bamboo bikes, too?

That's why the term "leg stretcher" was originated.

Archived