Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron Luminos

Damo636

Hi, I have used the Axiom LX's (rebranded Luminos) and they are great in my f/5, the 23mm is especially sharp and worthwhile for DSO's. The 7mm is supposed to be the best of the bunch, it is a cracking ep but I have not used it much in my f/5.

Thanks Robin. I have been looking at the 10mm. I can buy it from the USA for £103 delivered (providing the customs don't catch it). I feel i need something at this fl with the 12" scope and they seem to tick all the boxes without breaking the bank.

I was thinking the same thing about the 15mm (i'm guessing you were looking at ebay damo?). 100 quid for an 82 degree fov seems like a winner. though i did read some speculation that these are not exactly like the axiom lxs, but nothing concrete. i dunno... sounds a bit too good to be true.

I though a similar thing about the x-cel lxs, but generally i'd reckon on about 20% in import duty and so forth. the x-cels are £69 from flo, so i don't think there's a need to get them from the states. but a £50 saving on a luminos seems more worthwhile. i'll take one for the team when i have some spare money. which might be 2013 sometime...

the x-cel lxs are great by the way. i've had the 25 a while and the 9 arrived yesterday. wall to wall cloud though.

I've purchased a few items in recent times from across the pond and have been very lucky in that i haven't been nabbed by customs, as yet! I don't know if i have been very lucky or if maybe the Irish customs are a little more lax with their checks. The one item that did get flagged last year was a William Optics diagonal direct from Taiwan. I ended up waiting 3 weeks on it and at the finish up it cost me £5 more than a UK sourced part :)

Ye can't win em all :icon_scratch:

The 10mm Axiom/Luminos is a great piece of kit at f/5. Not tried the 15mm. By the way, the Luminos are exactly the same as the Ax's, I wrote to Celestron and they confirmed it a couple of weeks ago, just rebranded, that's all 'for manufacturing reasons' they said.

Archived