NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

wakefield area

crashtestdummy

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great night's observing, chaps! Thanks to whoever found the Winscar site (can't remember who it originally was now!!). Just back and ready for my warm bed.... Will write more about what we saw in the morning, but just wanted to say thanks now!

Thanks all for a great night....was really good to finally meet you guys. A special thanks to Mapstar for helping a total newb out. I knew something was wrong with my mount when it thouht Betelguise was in the grass :-)

Just uploaded some images from tonight before i shoot off to bed, have a quick look. Been well worth getting frozen feet for tonight (though i think Damian might be OK in that department!)

P4037615

panstarrs2j

M82b

eskimo nebula1a

Was great to finally meet everyone and I had a good night just hope everyone got home safe.

A shame we didn't get Pauls mount going right but I suspect the connection to the handset was the problem so need to make sure the connections are clipped in right.Well crack it next time though ;-)

Great uploads soupy.M81 and 82 being really a high light for me and panstarrs in your scope was cracking.

Think the heated insoles need a few mods but I bet maplins will be out of stock soon!

Look forward to the next night out.

It's a lot better than my back garden Sammy but you can still see the light pollution especially from Manchester but Sheffield too unfortunately.Looks like a trip to north Yorks for real dark skies or as crash said the Yorkshire dales.

Cheers Sammy, the glow was apparent especially in longer exposures and even with eyesight but the number of stars and scope views were excellent, much better than Parker Road or Emley. And it's only about 25 mins for me so well worth the effort.

Yeah it was a great night and lots to see. The only real issue of LP was on the western horizon from manchester but other than that it was good.

The highlights for me were the Globular Cluster that we saw through mapstars scope and comet panstars....which i think we saw through soupy's scope.

Oh and mapstars heated insoles were a show stealer as well...they also doubled up as dew heaters if needed :-)

It's a lot better than my back garden Sammy but you can still see the light pollution especially from Manchester but Sheffield too unfortunately.Looks like a trip to north Yorks for real dark skies or as crash said the Yorkshire dales.

Cheers Sammy, the glow was apparent especially in longer exposures and even with eyesight but the number of stars and scope views were excellent, much better than Parker Road or Emley. And it's only about 25 mins for me so well worth the effort.

Glad to hear you had a good night. Nice one.

Hi guys glad you all had a good night. My failed its mot so had that to sort and not been on for a while cos my internet conection went down and only just got it back hope to be at next meet

I might have a couple of hours out on the patio Paul are you going to have a go at setting up?. Wish I could aim for panstarrs! The scope box is nearing completion yay.

yeah I'm going through some stuff now, marked my mount for the home position and downloaded polarfinder.......let battle commence :-)

Archived