NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

wakefield area

crashtestdummy

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i bought some ski trousers with the shoulder straps,actually a woman fit as all the mens ones are too logn in the leg for me(im a shortarse) and they are proper toasty.managed a 5 hour session in minus temps with a breeze and no problems.go outdoors bargain for £28.the down jacket at £185 was a bit more expensive but you get what you pay for

I suffer with my feet getting cold, last time out I had my safety hiking boot's on a pair of normal socks and my merino seal skin socks but still went cold after 3 hours so will have to revise my strategy? I'll check go outdoors see if they have anything? Seen some thermal insoles that might be good?

i spent 5 years working at -26c in a freezer unit so now i use a pair of freezer boots but they are a bit past their best.im thinking of getting a pair of skee-tek boots or some tay muck boots but as its coming to the end of the end of the cold weather now(i hope!) i may wait until autumn

other than thermal socks and decent boots - the only thing you can do is scrunch your toes. If your feet would be warm enough if you were out walking, then it is purely down to lack of blood circulation if they are getting cold whilst observing.

I'm off camping to clumber park again on thursday for 5 days. I am hoping that the warmer weather comes in tomorrow as promised - or the caravan may be a bit parky! Going to take my scope just in case it clears up over the weekend, then i can get some dark sky viewing and maybe see some stuff in leo and virgo!

other than thermal socks and decent boots - the only thing you can do is scrunch your toes. If your feet would be warm enough if you were out walking, then it is purely down to lack of blood circulation if they are getting cold whilst observing.

I'm off camping to clumber park again on thursday for 5 days. I am hoping that the warmer weather comes in tomorrow as promised - or the caravan may be a bit parky! Going to take my scope just in case it clears up over the weekend, then i can get some dark sky viewing and maybe see some stuff in leo and virgo!

Hey I used to go to to go to the clumber park site with my unit (the caravan club one yes)? Lovely site in a great setting. Enjoy, I will be in Cornwall next week weather permitting so I will be taking one of my scopes with me as it's lovely and dark down there, just don't know which one to take yet.

Nicks90, looks like the blood stops going to my feet then after a bit!!! tried the scrunching toes thing but guess i'll have to work a bit harder in future. Maplin's have some heated insoles in for £8 so might try those and figure out how to run them off rechargeable batteries? plug em in when I need them?

Russty - yep caravan club site. Go there about 10 times a year! Its just down the road, dogs love it, good cycling and lovely settings. Plus I get no phone signal so work can't get hold of me! Result!!!!

Plus its fairly dark unless you look north to worksop, then you can see an orange glow - but its ace compared to ossett! If you go in at the a1 side entrance and go down lime tree avenue and turn left to the BBQ area, its good and flat with low horizons. Alternatively go in the other side and hang a right onto the heathland.

One thing that slows down the cooling of toes is to stand on a plank. Unfortunately Nick Clegg is unavailable so you will have to use some wood. :grin:

I normally stand on a piece of 3mm foam/polystyrene underlay doubled up and yeah it does work.

Ordered some of the maplins insole's give em a try for £8?

It's a good forecast for sunday night at the moment from the Met Office.

I've also been using that 7Timer website for the forecasts but that has been terrible recently and has gone blank now - so may have finally given up the ghost.

Keep my fingers crossed. I haven't even seen Saturn this year. February and March have been a complete blank for me.

Archived