Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

2x Barlow....do i need one?

c3po

hi all,

i just took delivery of an eBay purchased 'Revelation EP kit' containing the following:

Revelation Plossls: 32mm, 20mm, 15mm, 12mm, 9mm, 6mm

Revelation Filters: #23a, #80a, #56, #15a, #8 and ND96-0.9

i should have read the description and looked at the picture better as it seems there is no Barlow included. Given my location, and the (what i assume is a good) spread of EP focal lengths, do i need Barlow to complement them?

From what i gather, using a 2x Barlow with them would give me 16, 10, 7.5, 6, 4.5 and 3mm. that gives me effectively 3 extra EPs with a F/L very close to what i have already discounting the Barlow'd 12mm (6mm equivalent) and taking the 4.5 and 3mm to be next to useless in the UK from what i've heard...

also, what about the Filters. Is there a list of what i should use for what purpose?

Congratulations on your new eyepieces - those kits are a great choice.

With your 6mm eyepiece you will be able to achieve a maximum magnification of 108x as your scopes focal length is 650mm. The barlow would allow you to extend this up towards the telescopes theoretical limits. Certainly for planetary observations 130-180x is quite a desirable range.

The 4.5mm achieved with a barlow would result in a magnification of 144x (quite useable) and 3mm producing 216x - perhaps a little demanding, although useable on the moon. In both cases you will loose quite a bit of light though.

Ultimately a smaller, brighter and stable view is far better that a larger one with limited detail.

I would suggest that you see how you get on with the current eyepieces and decide whether you are 'craving' additional magnification. If so, a good barlow would be a cost effective solution.

For many the kit allows the owner to find out which eyepieces they use of a regular basis. This then allows you to target which specific ones you wish to upgrade towards better glass at some point in the future.

Hope you get clear skies to try out the new set.

Rob

Congratulations on your new eyepieces - those kits are a great choice.

With your 6mm eyepiece you will be able to achieve a maximum magnification of 108x as your scopes focal length is 650mm. The barlow would allow you to extend this up towards its theoretical limits. Certainly for planetary observations 130-180x is quite a desirable range.

4.5mm would result in a magnification of 144x (quite useable) and 3mm producing 216x - perhaps a little demanding, although useable on the moon.

I would suggest that you see how you get on with the current eyepieces and decide whether you are 'craving' additional magnification.

After all, a smaller and stable view is far better that a large, but with limited detail view.

Rob

some good advice there Rob i think, thanks very much! The only problem i can foresee now is the large blanket of cloud due to curtain the skies for the next few days thanks to my purchase - my apologies for this!...

i'll see how i get on with the 6mm and report back, that is assuming we get clear skies soon!

Si

"Do i need a Barlow"...its another piece of glass in the chain so at the end of the day, maybe use one find the best EP size you like best and upgrade the EP's to better quality as you wallet allows, I have the Revelation Kit and will some time in the future sell it with the income going back towards a better bit of kit, and thereby doing away with the Barlow forever...:icon_scratch:

hi all,

i just took delivery of an eBay purchased 'Revelation EP kit' containing the following:

Revelation Plossls: 32mm, 20mm, 15mm, 12mm, 9mm, 6mm

Revelation Filters: #23a, #80a, #56, #15a, #8 and ND96-0.9

i should have read the description and looked at the picture better as it seems there is no Barlow included. Given my location, and the (what i assume is a good) spread of EP focal lengths, do i need Barlow to complement them?

From what i gather, using a 2x Barlow with them would give me 16, 10, 7.5, 6, 4.5 and 3mm. that gives me effectively 3 extra EPs with a F/L very close to what i have already discounting the Barlow'd 12mm (6mm equivalent) and taking the 4.5 and 3mm to be next to useless in the UK from what i've heard...

also, what about the Filters. Is there a list of what i should use for what purpose?

IMHO...................simply put................you do not need a 2x barlow with that range of EP's. Also 3x barlow would be too much magnification on a 130mm scope.

Specific coloured filters are said to show up contrast and details on specific planets but i dont really see this myself. A yellow one is used on Saturn and Jupiter. Red or orange on Mars etc.

Try them for sure. they may work for you.

I have a Barlow Si, so when we meet feel free to have a go and see what you think!

And yes you have done something to the weather! I collimated last night from what I believe to be successful. But can I test it NO! Saturday night looks ok from what I have seen but that depends which weather site you use!

that's the kit Sandra, although I have an older version of it with 32, 20, 15, 12, 9 and 6mm and the filters (listed in my sig)- so i didn't get a Barlow or T-piece....excellent kit if i do say so, although i'm sure higher quality EPs would blow me away even more!!

I think you have helped me to finally make up my mind of what EPs to get. I have been faffing for weeks. But I think if we order ours soon then we get them for £79.99 because we bought our scope through them.

I now want a GOTO also :/

I think you have helped me to finally make up my mind of what EPs to get. I have been faffing for weeks. But I think if we order ours soon then we get them for £79.99 because we bought our scope through them.

I now want a GOTO also :/

now that WOULD be pushing the boat out for me.... so instead i bought a green laser pen off ebay and built a mount from PVC piping and some thumb screws... centered roughly and works a dream, its just a case of point and view now!

Archived