Does anyone have a spare SPC880/900

They're getting hard to come by I know some people have had luck trying ebay and amazon... if you haven't already tried there but be prepared to spend £50 plus for one see this thread http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/174064-webcam-use.html

If you can't find one you could always try out the Microsoft Lifecam HD Cinema or even a modified X-box livecam, both of these have been tried with good results.

The modification is actually fairly easy, so long as you follow the instructions it's as easy as wiring up a plug! The X-box live cam is a little more tricky as you need to break the LED's and shorten the nose with a hacksaw, but you can pick them up for £5 each so if you buy a couple and screw one up you haven't lost a lot. If its something your going to consider there's a thread about it on SGL somewhere but I'm on the iPhone at the mo so it's not easy for me to paste the link for you :icon_scratch: - you can always search for it!

Are the xbox live cams ccd or cmos incidentally?

I think I've seen people say they are CCD. I'm sure somone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Been thinking about getting one of these myself. For a fiver it's not that bad if it doesn't work that well.

Don't know if you want to spend quite this much (or indeed if it's worth it!) but there's a brand new, fully modified one on eBay that might be of interest:

Philips SPC900NC Toucam Long Exposure Full Webcam Kit

Unfortunately, it's an Australian seller, but the postage isn't bad assuming you don't mind buying internationally.

Archived