Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Why I hate Bracknell.. (rosette nebula image inside)

NickK

I may have just got permission to get myself some narrowband filters from the Missus..

RGB as 6x600, 3x600, 3x600. I also took 3x600 with a neodymium but didn't use it here. I didn't use the darks (20x600) or the flats (17x4). Camera at -15 set point. Resized to 800x600.

In PI, you can just make out the dark bands of dust (bok globules) that people associate with the leaping cat but it could be mistaken for frost (it's not as the lens was completely clear).

One thing positive.. the polar alignment was good!

post-22611-133877730802_thumb.png

Does Bracknell have *any* redeeming features? :)

My parents-in-law can apparently remember when it was pretty much a single-street village...

(Not in the area now, but used to live and work along the A329 corridor south of the M4.)

James

I would try lower exposures - not sure if it will work but try stacking the filters?

Neodymium filter and Red - maybe try for a couple of minutes, repeat with the other channels.

NB is the way forward - but this might enable you to get something through the LP in the mean time.

Tracking looks good!

Cheers

The light pollution is (IMO) over taking the nebula. Lowering the exposure might help, but double stacking the filters which will block some of the harmful LP, and allow the chip to collect some of the "good" light.

But the LP filter only works well up to 2 or 3 minutes IMO.

Cheers

I am near Bracknell and I tried the Rosette a little while ago with an 80mm Apo, a QHY8 OSC ccd and an Astronomic CLS filter and got absolutely nothing.

I have moved on a bit with my equipment and must revisit the Rosette.

Ian

Hi,

I hate Bracknell as well but am forced to live here.

I have a small garden and it is overlooked by a b£%**y orange street light!

I am just getting into imaging and was wondering if I could get some pointers from you?

Would appreciate any help as I am totally new to deep sky although I have done some webcam planetary.

I am just about to buy an EQ6 pro with an ED80 apo and an Intes 7" mak. What else will I need?

Any recommendations on DSLR or CCD camera etc?

Perhaps we could meet up at your convenience.

Hi,

I hate Bracknell as well but am forced to live here.

I have a small garden and it is overlooked by a b£%**y orange street light!

I am just getting into imaging and was wondering if I could get some pointers from you?

Would appreciate any help as I am totally new to deep sky although I have done some webcam planetary.

I am just about to buy an EQ6 pro with an ED80 apo and an Intes 7" mak. What else will I need?

Any recommendations on DSLR or CCD camera etc?

Perhaps we could meet up at your convenience.

Probably best to start a new thread - you'll get some tailored advise then!

ED80/EQ6 (pro?) is a good start. If you have similar LP skies then Narrow Band is really the only way to go. LP was what drove me to Narrow Band in the first place.

Cheers

I'm amazed that's as bad as it seems in terms of LP?

My Rosette pic was taken from a town center park with moderate LP and a LP clip filter... there was quite a bit of noise but the nebula was certainly visible in all of the subs as they came in...

Rosette-final | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

If you're using an LP filter I'd not have expected THAT much of a difference between a 'moderately light polluted site' and a 'seriously light polluted sight'?

As others have said... maybe shorten the subs? That may help... I guess at some stage the LP just overwhelms the sensor anyway and the S/N ratio drops off?

Keep trying though... the Rosette is a gorgeous target!

Ben

I agree with all of the above - being a fellow Bracknell based observer, I continue to be frustrated with the sheer number of streetlights that seem to be blumming everywhere!

When I decided to get my ED80 I also made the desicion that I would need to shuffle off to a drksite to get get any value out of it.

I am in Quelm Park whisch is particularly bad. Where in Bracknell is everyone? there seem to be a few of us very close by :)

Does Bracknell have *any* redeeming features? :icon_scratch:

My parents-in-law can apparently remember when it was pretty much a single-street village...

(Not in the area now, but used to live and work along the A329 corridor south of the M4.)

James

It's a shortcut to the M3 or M4 depending on your direction :)

It may be possible to pull some information out by using the spectra for neodymium and the RGB to give a set of simultaneous equations. Although the result will have a serious error value!

I could do this more accurately if I had the spectra numerical values for each filter and the KAF-8300 sensor (its sensitivity differs for wavelength) rather than guessing roughly off the spectra graphs I have.

Archived