Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Unknown Abell galaxy cluster, not pretty, but a little clever :)

Tim

I took this little sequence a couple of weeks back. I neglected to jot down where exactly in the sky this area is, but it is somewhere in Leo as I recall.

I haven't done much to the picture apart from levels and noise reduction, so it isn't much to look at. Until you have a look at the full size version, which reveals tens and maybe hundreds of fuzzies in the picture.

I've just submitted it to Astrometry to try and get some more details, will update thread later.

16x900secs with 10" Quattro and QHY8

Thanks for looking.

Tim

post-14037-133877729851_thumb.jpg

You can submit images to Astrometrys Flickr site I think Tom, but you can also send them direct and the database will compare the region in the pic with its list of known stars and then identify the area.

When it works :)

Hope you don't mind, but I had a play.

I have discovererd in the past that if you remove some of the little fuzzies in the background, astrometry.net seems to stand a better chance of plate solving.

I erased some of the galaxies (badly sorry!!) and resubmitted the image and it managed to solve it. and puts the center of the image at RA 175.420, Dec 20.050

IC 2951 is identified down the right hand corner

Astrometry.net

Cheers John

Thanks John :)

If I could remember the name of the central fuzzies it'd be a lot easier. Armed with this info i'll go back to HNS and zoom in on the area and find the cluster that I clicked GOTO on :icon_eek:

Thats a handy reference Martin, thanks for that.

It would seem there are a load of non NGC listed galaxies in the background too, i'll ring them all on the full size version when I get a few minutes.

Archived