NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help connecting synscan GOTO to EQ5 mount

I've been setting up my new 'scope this morning. The manual for setting up the GOTO system only gives instructions for plugging it into the HEQ5 or EQ6, which have the controller system built-in.

I can't quite work out which cables go into the mount from the controller box. The mount has three DIN connectors - Dec In and Out and R.A. In. The controller box only has one. Two cables are supplied.

Am I right in assuming the cables go in this order:

Controller box --> Dec In

Dec Out --> R.A. In

Thanks for your help, hope I made sense!

HI sorry i can not help but i had a Meade goto .and what a headache spent about three weeks with ascom driver totally mind blown and at the point of give up i got it to work ,stellarium worked for me in the end i was so chuffed needless to say 5 out of 10 i did try it it just seemed to have a mind of its own

HI sorry i can not help but i had a Meade goto .and what a headache spent about three weeks with ascom driver totally mind blown and at the point of give up i got it to work ,stellarium worked for me in the end i was so chuffed needless to say 5 out of 10 i did try it it just seemed to have a mind of its own

Oh my, hope I don't have that much trouble with mine!

The sockets marked "DEC" on the mount are connected together First Light Optics - Skywatcher EQ5 PRO Synscan GOTO. The socket from the control board marked "out" will connect connect to the "RA in" socket on the mount. The picture should help.

Peter

Fantastic! That does the trick nicely. Thanks very much! :icon_salut:

I can only assume they just couldn't be bothered to address every combination. Would have thought they'd do a joint version for the EQ3 and 5 though, bit pointless telling me how to connect it to a mount I don't have. :icon_salut:

Still, considering it's a Chinese product, the instructions I was able to use were easily understandable and not in pidgin English. Now I just have to get my head around how to actually use the thing. Some clear skies would be a good start. :)

You'll get your head around it soon enough once you get it out under the stars.

I'd recommend having a look on YouTube for AstroShed's "Complete Setup" series of videos, he's using an NEQ6, but most of the principles are exactly the same, and he covers balancing, home point and alignment really well.

If you get stuck, yell - there's a couple of thousand people here who can have a stab at helping out.

Can't help with the clouds however, looking pretty rubbish in this corner of the world right now :/

I'd recommend having a look on YouTube for AstroShed's "Complete Setup" series of videos, he's using an NEQ6, but most of the principles are exactly the same, and he covers balancing, home point and alignment really well.

If you get stuck, yell - there's a couple of thousand people here who can have a stab at helping out.

Can't help with the clouds however, looking pretty rubbish in this corner of the world right now :/

Another vote for Astro Shed, his videos are really good, full of tips and will save you a lot of time

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.364722,-2.732624

Will definitely check out those vids. I was just thinking I need a "for dummies" guide to telescopes! :icon_salut:

With a bit of help from my husband, I set it up and appeared to balance it correctly. Couldn't do any real stargazing thanks to those pesky clouds, but did a "pseudo" alignment using SkySafari on my ipad to show me where the stars are. It all looked very high-tech whizzing around my living room lol!

At least I got a bit of practice and should be able to set it up reasonably easily next time.

I don't want to disassemble it now, I'm leaving it as it is until I go to bed just in case the clouds decide to miraculously depart. :)

Some good advice there for you Becky.

Here's my little bit....

to connect the cables (both are same size & type) DEC in to DEC out

RA goes to the top of the little power box that clips onto one of the legs.

When i got mine i had a weekend with it inside to get to know it, deffo have a look at those videos, i did and helped no end,

to start have a look at "balancing the scope" and "setting home postion" you can set home in the day in the house....simples, once you have set home mark the postion on the mount so you can put it here easily.

I have also marked how far up the weights go so i know it will be balanced when setting up in the dark, the scope in it's tube rings hardly need changing so once set should be ok, but you may need to turn the scope for viewing.

Dont take any notice of all the dials on the mount, there not the best and i never use them.

For visual use with GOTO dont worry to much with polar alignment, all i do is look into the polar scope got polaris in the middle and bob's your uncle, GOTO works very well with this method.....well has for me.

I think thats enough for now before you get fed up of reading all this or your brain hurts........We will wait for your GOTO set up questions....but do ask, all i know i got from here, a great site with some very helpful members,

If you want to see pics of my set up with its little marks i got to aid set up then let me know

Thanks Dave, that's very helpful advice. :)

I've marked the mount and counterweight rod with some masking tape. not the prettiest thing in the world, but nice and easy to remove. :icon_eek:

I had a quick look at one of the Astroshed videos yesterday. I'm glad you recommend avoiding those dials, they seem a bit mind-boggling!

Archived