Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Venus In Daylight

Has anyone managed to locate Venus in the daylight with a scope?

I managed it today at about 2.30pm roughly due south and gazing upward at about 45 degrees first with my trusty 10x30 Nikons and then again with my 15x70 Revelations. It was surprisingly bright in the Revelations considering that you can't see it with the naked eye.

I was going to have a go with my scope but ended up going out with one of my girls for a drive in the country to photograph the snow on the fields before it melts away.

I was wondering if it's any easier to view its phases in daylight with a scope due to there being less contrast between it and the background (or should I say foreground) sky.

I have to say, my wife who really only lovingly tolerates my hobby was intrigued by it when I showed her where to look.

It's actually surprisingly easy to see in daylight. The challenge is spotting it in the first place, once you've got it the first time, it's much easier. I find if I get it with bins, then I can normally get it naked eye by knowing where to look

Stu

I've seen it by naked eye just a hands width away from the Sun in early afternoon on a particularly clear day. Others with me who did not believe me, saw it themselves once it was pointed out. Definitely easier to see the phase details with a telescope in a clear blue sky.

Thanks all for your replies and to Dave for sharing the results of your project. That must have taken a great deal of patience and dedication.

I shall be trying for a view with my scope the next opportunity I get.

I often see Venus in daylight. I usually attempts when the moon is near to have some reference. After getting used to it it is not that hard. My tips are published at my blog on the Venus in daylight article.

It is always fun to see Venus in the day and I often amaze other people by showing her to them. People do not believe that it is a planet!

Archived