Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher SynScan AZ Goto

gooseholla

Hi,

just purchased one of these mounts for £189 http://www.opticstar.com/Run/Astronomy/Astro-Mounts-Skywatcher.asp?p=0_10_2_0_50

Looking forward to using it with my Vixen VMC110l.

In the long term I'm going to get a powerpack for it. However, what cables does it come with for power (if any?) or for connecting to a computer? And what would I need if there are none. Thanks

The AZ GOTO mount is supplied with a 8xAA battery box and a serial cable used for firmware updating and pc mount control. You might need a usb/serial adapter to connect the cable to your computer. Don't purchase a cheap usb/serial adapter from ebay, they don't always work.

Peter

I concur, I bought a cheap serial cable on eBay and it doesn't work with windows 7

This thread I started the other day will see you right, I also have the synscan Goto and bought the power pack (in the linked thread) and it came with a charge cable which will work with the powering of the synscan, I can confirm this because the thread is mine, I tried it and I put a pic of it in the thread. I completely recommend it as in 3 nights I went through 24 Duracell batteries and they are not cheap.

Good luck.

http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/174610-just-discovered-power-pack-has-15-bonus-its-only-59-99-a.html

Oh, believe me I won't be using batteries. For the most part, it will be in reach of a socket - so a power connector will be needed.

Yeah, looking at that batt pack, but the special offer runs out before my next payday. However, I seen similar ones that will do for similar money.

What about usb/serial cables from say maplin? Do you think they would work?

Cheers. In terms of connecting to a comp, that can wait a bit. It is finding a suitable power supply - not necessarily a power pack but an ordinary socket one - in the more immediate future.

I have a hard job seeing how a bit of wire cannot be compatible with Win 7! Wire is wire, surely?!

I use a psu from a yamaha keyboard, 12v rated at 2.5a. works fine and doesn't get anywhere near as warm as it does when running the keyboard

I have also used a psu from an old tft monitor but the cables are longer on the keyboard psu

Both are regulated and i triple checked the polarity before i plugged it into the mount.

Well I can just pop into their shop one day and see.

It seems to come with a cigarrete lighter to DC cable in the kit. Presumably, it would fit, or need an adapter on the end at worse?

That's a good idea! I have a keyboard - it might work.

• 11 months later...

Hi, I got this mount for a couple of months now, and the motor that rotates the base has stopped working. Do anyone know if there are spare motors to be had for this? The other motor is working well, so It cant be the powersupply. Is looks like it tries to move but only moves i tiny bit before stopping. (Even without any load, just lying on my kitchen table)

When I noticed it, I was out in -21 degrees Celsius but still did not work when I got it back indoors.

Anybody had problems with this mount motors before?

Archived