New TV show looks good, how to grow a planet.

Just seen this advertised. just to let you all know. :-)

How to grow a planet - BBC 2 starts Tuesday 7/2/12 at 9pm

Synopsis from tv guide- How planets have driven the greatest changes to the earth, prof Iain Stewart shows how they first harnessed light from the sun and created our life giving atmosphere.

I have just set my recorder to series link.

Sounds good, so many great programmes being made by the BBC at the moment, makes the license fee worth it!

I seen the end of a program on bbc 4 the other day, horizon: asteroids, the good the bad and the ugly. I will have to catch the full show on iplayer, that looks like it might be a good watch too.

*on a less important note **AAAARRRRRHHHHHHH**screams at iPad STOP FREAKING CHANGING MY SPELLING TO NBC EVERYTIME I TYPE BBC** thats all.

Sounds good, so many great programmes being made by the BBC at the moment, makes the license fee worth it!

Just watch BBC 1 between 6:30pm and 9pm any night of the week and you`ll soon retract that comment. :icon_salut::evil6:

Good show, anything prof Iain Stewart does is usually good. He's nearly as good as Prof Brian Cox.:icon_salut: The chilli eating was very funny!:)

Next weeks show should be more interesting to us - an asteroid strike!

I watched this over the weekend.

I'm afraid at a couple of points it had me almost shouting at the television, particularly during the sequence where they were at an iron ore mine and he extracted the oxygen from the iron ore claiming it was "oxygen that was made X million years ago" when in fact it's far more probable that the oxygen was actually "made" billions of years ago and has merely been bound up with the iron in the planetary crust for the last few million years. There were several other failures to distinguish between "making" and "releasing" oxygen.

There were also some errors in the chile-eating sequence, but to be fair even if they noticed them I can't imagine he'd have wanted to do another take :)

Unfortunately when there are factual errors that I recognise in programmes like this I do start to wonder about the accuracy of the things they're telling me that I didn't already know much about, such as the details of the initial colonisation of the land by plant life.

On the positive side, I thought putting him in a sealed box with a load of plants at the Eden Project was fun and that overall it was a well-made programme and I'll watch more of the series. I wonder how many people will be criticising it for sending him all over the world to film small segments of the programme though? Or is Iain Stewart an insufficiently high enough profile celeb to be worth having a pop at?

James

sounds good will have to check i player but i dnt get why youre moning about it its ment to be an informative entertaining show that everyone can understand so if you watched it and enjoyed it stop you whining and nit picking over small indiscrepencies you are just spliting hairs.

Yes, I *am* splitting hairs, and I shall continue to do so. It was presented as a factual programme about the history of the earth, by a scientist who made his scientific credentials clear at the start of the programme. When he then makes a big deal over something that is patently untrue, it calls into question other "facts" that are presented. What else might have been "glossed over" to make the programme seem more dynamic and exciting?

I realise that some people may just want to sit and watch the moving wallpaper or look at the pretty graphics and not really take it in and that's fine, but personally I like to watch science programmes to actually learn something and therefore expect them to be factually accurate. If they aren't, then it's quite likely I wouldn't even bother turning the television on.

James

thought the second episode of this was brilliant, it looked great in HD and they did a good job with the sounds too

ok if you like film..Batman and Inception stood out but one song caught my attention, it was used twice but I have failed to find out what it was...had a mighty drum intro...anyone know?

Good show, anything prof Iain Stewart does is usually good. He's nearly as good as Prof Brian Cox.:icon_scratch:

I've never seen this guy before (** Ducks from the cries of outrage**) But has he always spoken like that - or is he trying to be Prof Brian Cox!! They have the the exact same way of speaking (Minus the accent obviously) or is that just as standard way Scientists speak! :)

Claire

Archived