Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M81, M82, NGC2976 - My first "proper" image!

Johnboy2011

It's taken a long time to get here, and a fair amount of frustration, it feels like quite a milestone! Image details are:

SW ED80 DS Pro on EQ6

Guided with PHD/QHY5

0.85 FR - CLS LP Clip filter - 1000D

EQMOD/CdC/APT

40 300s lights ISO800

20 darks

Stacked in DSS and that's as far as I've got! I don't have Photoshop and wouldn't know what to do with it either! Looking at other images I think I need more time on this. I guess there is more detail to be pulled out so it would be great if anyone with the skills fancies a go...! (I have converted to jpeg to upload)

John

post-24275-133877728839_thumb.jpg

Well done! :icon_salut:

It's a good feeling when it all comes together in the end isn't it? ;)

You're off to a good start! More time and even longer subs if you can will show more detail.

You could download 'GIMP' which is a free image processing software package to get you started.

Keep 'em coming! :)

Michael

Thanks for the comments!

I have pretty bad light pollution so I'm not sure how far I can push the subs but perhaps I'll nudge them up to 5 mins? I have downloaded GIMP but I'm not sure what to do with it! I have had a look at a few processing tutorials but they seem pretty specific to Photoshop and suggest that GIMP only works in 8bit. I'm not sure whether that would make much difference at my standard?

Thanks,

John

I live in the centre of a small(ish) town and usually settle on 5mins and the CLS clip holds up well. I’ve also noticed a huge difference between 2mins and 5mins in terms of structure/deepness etc.

Gimp is only 8bits – not as good as 16/32 but its free and will allow you to practice with stretching etc until you get photoshop or pix insite or whatever.

These are also very hard targets I think for a DSLR & ED80 to get real good detail, something bigger for the future might be a better choice (M31?) or plop your C9.25, but then guiding I belive becomes harder.

I've tried these too with with my ED80 & DSLR and got around 3hrs of 5min subs but like I said the detail is hard to achieve on these small/distant galaxies. But it is nice to caputer them none the less! :icon_salut:

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Archived