NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Polar Alignment

Up until the other night, I have enjoyed my viewing without have my scope Polar Aligned. I recently purchased motors and a polar scope and thought I'd try and polar align my mount to help in my quest fot better imaging. In daylight I adjusted the polar scope for centre alignment, spent ages at it and got it as best I could. Next was the Polar alignment, the polar scope has the circle painted black on the lens but how are you ment to see it against a black sky in order to align the pole star at the appropriate point. Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question.

Cheers

You can make you own illuminator and I believe this is covered in the Astronomy Shed web site, alternatively you can use a red LED such as the Maplins CJ 66W 3mm type which will run direct off your 12V DC supply, you just need to mount it in a collar which will fit the Polar scope opening in your mount, if you want to vary the brightness then introduce a 470K pot into the circuit HTH :icon_salut:

Not a silly question at all, I had exactly the same issue with my EQ3/2 when I had it (thankfully the HEQ5Pro has a LED built in). <Sarcasm mode on> You are going to have so much fun looking up through your polarscope, arm reaching around trying to shine a small torch across the opening, not enough to wash out the stars but enough to see the guides, all the while trying to adjust your mount alt & az AND make sure you have Polaris in the right area - I REALLY miss those days <sarcasm mode off> - if you can get someone to help you it will make life so much easier. Good luck!

Archived