EQ3-2 Leg broke

Hi All,

Has anyone got an old broken EQ3-2 tripod, One of the clamping screw bosses has broke on mine and it looks irrepairable, I only need a single leg from one.

I dont want to buy a new eq3-2 mount as Im going to be upgrading scope and mount in the near future but need to get this one up and running.

Thanks

Kev.

Special Offers

bottom of the list, £3 each. I'd buy three.

I just looked on there. Do you think the EQ5 mount with counter balance for £120 is a good idea? We have an EQ3-2 - noticed a lot of wobble last night, so should I upgrade? Would the 150pl sit on it right?Then, what are the chances of selling the EQ3-2?thanks Sandra

I just looked on there. Do you think the EQ5 mount with counter balance for £120 is a good idea? We have an EQ3-2 - noticed a lot of wobble last night, so should I upgrade? Would the 150pl sit on it right?Then, what are the chances of selling the EQ3-2?thanks Sandra

The PL would be much happier on an EQ5 than an EQ3-2.

Edit: just clicked the link and should let you know the Sky's the limit EQ5 is a lightweight clone. Nothing like as stable as the SkyWatcher EQ5. I would stick with your EQ3-2 rather than upgrade to that particular one.

Right, I found the 150PL on the EQ3-2 bearable. I found there was flex in the legs that had had, saturn say wobble about twice the width of the field of view at 200x. This made focusing a bit annoying but I'm told that having the Skywatcher auto focus kit removes the issue. I've also had my 150PL on a EQ3 with dual motors and found that to be much more user friendly. The flex was all in the legs so doing something about them I think would reduce the problem.

Basically, the 150PL is on the very edge of the payload of the EQ3.

I've been trying to fence my EQ3-2 off for a while but I saw once went on ebay for about £125 the other day and that had a polarscope as well so they do sell.

Having my choice again I'd have taken the Skyliner version but having a 16th century wall to see over meant i needed the extra height.

Reservations regarding the operators of astroboot aside, they have some legs from a Vixen mount listed which may well be more robust than the standard EQ3-2 legs. If they did, they'd probably give more rigidity. Question is whether they'd fit the EQ3-2 head.

James

Probably doesn't mean anything but I had Vixen porta II legs on my Supatrak auto mount head. They are much more stable than the Skywatcher originals but I have given the mount to my Brother in law so I can't check if they'd fit the EQ3-2. I strongly suspect they would.

Reservations regarding the operators of astroboot aside, they have some legs from a Vixen mount listed which may well be more robust than the standard EQ3-2 legs. If they did, they'd probably give more rigidity. Question is whether they'd fit the EQ3-2 head.

James

Ahem.... http://stargazerslounge.com/astro-lounge/173273-bought-eq3-2-a.html

They do!

They are probably a little bit more stable but the key feature for me was the quick release brace / tray. Doing those three little wingnuts up each time is a right pain on the EQ3-2 but the tray adds a huge amount of stability. With the Vixen, you just have a single centre thumbscrew.

Archived