NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First views of the universe - Help with target objects.

After receiving my first proper scope, a 4SE on Monday, Ive had some great nights of clear skies and have managed to see for the first time, other worlds!

There really is nothing quite like seeing things for yourself, and this week i have taken my first ever glimpses at Jupiter and its moons, Mars and what seems to be a polar ice cap, (small bright spot), last night I saw Saturns rings for the first time...I just feel like its all "real" i mean i knew it was all there, but now I know! lol.

I got the added advantage of originally using my 24mm on the first night, and having my 8mm TMB Planetary II delivered in time for the second night, I even managed to see Castor as 2 stars..

Amazed and excited for the future..

Does anyone have any suggestions of target objects which will be visible well with the Celestron 4SE this time of year? I have currently 24mm Plossl and an 8mm TMB Planetary II.. and Im loving it! :D

Hi, It's great to hear that you are pleased with your scope and what it has achieved so far. You could try the Orion nebula, which would be good with the 24mm Plossl. I know it's obvious, but the Moon is also nice with 24mm size eyepiece and the TMB for close up detail. Do you have a sky atlas or stellarium on a laptop? This would be very usefull for selecting targets. Clear skies. CW :D

Hi, It's great to hear that you are pleased with your scope and what it has achieved so far. You could try the Orion nebula, which would be good with the 24mm Plossl. I know it's obvious, but the Moon is also nice with 24mm size eyepiece and the TMB for close up detail. Do you have a sky atlas or stellarium on a laptop? This would be very usefull for selecting targets. Clear skies. CW :D

Thanks for the suggestion. Yeah I have a few things, I have Celestrons software SkyQ on my iPad, which uses the compass and gyroscope so i can hold it up to the sky...but its more about what can be seen with my eyepieces and scope.

I've selected a lot of things which are just not visible with my set up. I guess that's half the fun!

Our friend has a chalet in a scottish holiday village which is a certified Dark Sky site..hoping to get up there sometime subject to an invite, so I can really take advantage of my window to the heavens!

The best thing to do would be to equip yourself with a book or two and a dim red torch. The books will not only show you how to find stuff, but they'll explain what they are and will provide useful information on how to run your telescope, etc.

A great starting point would be Turn Left at Orion and the Sky and Telescope pocket atlas, which is wonderful. Most amateur astronomers work through the Messier catalogue when they start out. There are plenty of books on the Messier catalogue if you look on Amazon. The Caldwell list (which is a list of Patrick Moore's favourite, non-Messier objects) is often tackled next, but only about half of those objects are visible from the UK. The Messier objects are all visible from the northern sky since Messier observed from Paris (IIRC). The Caldwell objects are from both northern and southern hemispheres. All Messier objects will be within reach of your telescope if the skies are dark enough. Finally, you could tackle some of the Astronomical League's observing programs: Observing Programs and Awards Arranged Alphabetically | The Astronomical League

Well, I went and bought a few books today and a couple of magazines too..and that list is excellent - gives me plenty to get on with, though doesn't look like its going to be a clear night for a couple of days at least, especially since it's just started snowing! Thanks for the suggestions...cant wait to check out Almaak!!

There are quite a few good ones to look for! First of all get Stellarium downloaded on your PC, or maybe even Cartes du Ciel, which are brilliant sky simulators, if you do not have either.

Then you should try looking at the messier catalogue - there are many good websites out there on this. You are better off trying to find what you can of these than just accepting that some can't be seen for your aperture, as you won't know until you really look. Plus this develops your observing skills that helps you see more later!

But for starters, some good objects are:

M31, the andromeda galaxy

M36, M37, M38 a series of clusters in Auriga (M37 is brilliant!)

M13 in Hercules, the finest globular cluster of them all

M45, the Pleiades

M67 in presape, a very good open cluster

M42, the Orion Nebula - an absolute beauty

M57, the Ring Nebula in Lyra, a brillaint emission nebula which requires HIGH magnification to see!

The Hyades, basically swarming cluster of stars around Aldebaran

There are quite a few good ones to look for! First of all get Stellarium downloaded on your PC, or maybe even Cartes du Ciel, which are brilliant sky simulators, if you do not have either.

Then you should try looking at the messier catalogue - there are many good websites out there on this. You are better off trying to find what you can of these than just accepting that some can't be seen for your aperture, as you won't know until you really look. Plus this develops your observing skills that helps you see more later!

But for starters, some good objects are:

M31, the andromeda galaxy

M36, M37, M38 a series of clusters in Auriga (M37 is brilliant!)

M13 in Hercules, the finest globular cluster of them all

M45, the Pleiades

M67 in presape, a very good open cluster

M42, the Orion Nebula - an absolute beauty

M57, the Ring Nebula in Lyra, a brillaint emission nebula which requires HIGH magnification to see!

The Hyades, basically swarming cluster of stars around Aldebaran

Many thanks as soon as the skies clear that's a great list to look at. I actually saw the Orion Nebula on m second night.. And the smudge that was the andromeda galaxy. I'm going to persevere with this list...

Does anyone know what mag my 4SE will give with the 8mm TMB?

....Does anyone know what mag my 4SE will give with the 8mm TMB?

Magnification is scope focal length divided by eyepiece focal length.So the 4SE has a focal length of 1325mm / 8mm = 165x

Good for the moon and planets but not so useful for deep sky objects which need low to medium magnifications.

Magnification is scope focal length divided by eyepiece focal length.So the 4SE has a focal length of 1325mm / 8mm = 165x

Good for the moon and planets but not so useful for deep sky objects which need low to medium magnifications.

Still trying to get my head round this. Does that mean the higher numbers such as 30mm etc? For the DSOs?

Still trying to get my head round this. Does that mean the higher numbers such as 30mm etc? For the DSOs?

Higher focal length eyepieces give lower magnification. Generally (although there are a few exceptions) DSO's are viewed at low to medium magnifications.

Thanks for that, I have the 24mm plossl also, so maybe should look for something in between the two? Any suggestions for Eps i can use for better viewing of DSO's?

Archived