At wits end

I was going to buy the SW 130p on eq2 and on my delivery run today spotted a optics shop in one of the towns so i popped in to have a look they only had 2 scopes one was a celestron 130eq but they also had a SW Skyliner 250p dob :) what a beast that was. I cant afford the 250 but got me thinking is the 150p dob any good for viewing and may be some basic webcam imaging just mess about stuff really more into viewing. I thought the dob mounts looked a bit weird but seeing one in the wood it doesnt seem that bad. Any advice would be brilliant.

PS the 150p is the max limit i could afford from FLO and thats stretching it as i thought the 130p was the max i could afford but could push a wee bit.

Hi

The 150 Dob offers 44% more light gathering than the 130. Also, as the dob is the simpler scope to set up and use it will be more suited to the beginner astronomer. I use the 200mm version of the dob and I'm very impressed with the performance under all conditions. When not in use it sits in the corner of the spare bedroom and takes up minimal space.

HTH!

I think the dob design is brilliant. It's dead easy to use. It allows you to spend most of your £'s on the optics, which are what show the views of course, and it just works. You can do some basic lunar / planetary webcamming with them too.

The technique of "nudging" to track objects at high magnifications soon becomes second nature too.

You can always put the 6" and 8" dob tubes onto equatorial mounts, if you so desire, in due course.

Archived