Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New EP arrived

Ian123

Today the EP i ordered from FLO has just arrived.

Don't quite have the budget for an TV Ethos or a Pentax XW so i chose the Celestron X-Cel LX 25mm.

I chose the 25mm so i can compare it to the stock 25mm that came with the scope.

Upon looking at the pic's on FLO's website i didn't know how the build quality and overall quality was like, but i can say it seem's top notch.

The body feel's rock solid metal, the rubber grip is good and the twist up eyecup is smooth and well made.

The packaging it came in is excellent as well, here here is some pics of the packaging and also a plastic tube for storing it until i get myself a case when more EP's join the collection, overall very pleased, just need to test it out now, cue the clouds :)

post-18509-133877726708_thumb.jpg

post-18509-133877726716_thumb.jpg

post-18509-133877726724_thumb.jpg

post-18509-133877726731_thumb.jpg

post-18509-133877726738_thumb.jpg

Looks great. I bet the improvement on the stock eyepiece will be dramatic...

I would try M81/82 as they will fit in the same view...but of course that moons a bit bright at the moment!

Mark

They are 2 objects i have never seen and would be great to tick off, although only been out with my scope once the other night i will be looking to compare the double cluster first.

Also M35 would be great to compare as well, snow has been forecast for tomorrow so hopefully can get out tonight.

While the moon is out it would be great to have a look at that as well.

Ian123,

I'll be interested to hear your impressions.

I received one of these earlier in the week and managed to get several hours with it on Wednesday night. I was very impressed with the level of detail shown when looking at the moon in my scope that gives me about 60x magnification.

I've got an F11.8 Mak so thats going to be quite forgiving on eye pieces, I believe yours is an F4.7 so will be optically more of challenge for it.

I found it to be very comfortable to use from a positioning and eye relief perspective and it's certainly very solidly constructed. Can't wait for some more time with mine. I don't wear glasses to observe as I can get away just without them, but I might try and see how it works out.

Hope you get some clear skys to try it out soon.

Tyr

Keep us posted on what you think about these new EPs. I've only got the stock EPs at the moment and will be upgrading quite soon.

Hopefully get out tonight and post my comments in this thread, as i am a relative newbie don't be expecting a really technical review, i will tell it as i see it.

I was going to post a review on the new Celestron EP but unfortunately the conditions are less than ideal and after ten minutes the clouds starting to roll in.

Did get a brief view of the double cluster, the difference between both eyepiece is minimal in regards to clarity and sharpness at the minute but i put that down to the conditions.

Although the FOV in the Celestron is a lot more pleasing, i found myself looking arouond the EP more than i did in the stock ep an i can see this being a major plus when the conditions allow for better observing.

Another thing using the EP i figured the scope is not in perfect collimation, upon viewing the moon i noticed i little dark blob in the center of the view, i presume this is the secondary mirror?

Clarification would be great on that score!

So i will hold out my judgement until i have collimated the scope (as i have done that yet) and the conditions are more favourable for a reasonable review.

Thanks for the reports.

I don't think you should be seeing the secondary shadow with a 25mm eyepiece even with an F/4.7 scope :)

Hi John, thanks for the info, there does seem to be some sort of disruption in the EP, thought it might be a little dirt but it appears in both EP's and in the same place so i can rule dirt out.

Once i have collimated the scope i will see if that makes a difference.

Archived