NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Cold weather astronomy

FLO sell Blazewear electric jackets which, believe me, work! For the feet Moon Boots from charity shops are very good and a ski jacket and salopettes do the biz. It is vital to keep your head warm. It has a phenomenal potential for radiating away heat.

The layering principle is often raised but this is not the answer for sedentary activities, it is designed for active cold sports in which wicking away sweat is critical.

You are better off to use a single main layer, ideally a big down jacket. Down salopettes are very expensive but synthetic ones are pretty good. I'm often out at -15C and this works for me, though this winter I spend a lot of time hiding in my new warm room. Cheating!

Olly

I swear by using my hot water bottle inside my coat. Also, fingerless gloves are invaluable as they help to keep my hands warm but still let me use the laptop when I need to. For my feet I find that thermal socks and my walking boots or my trainers work best.

Oh - and plenty of hot coffee:)

I find that fishing gear is amongst the best stuff to get , fisherman after all have similar needs to us ie; keeping still for long periods in the cold. tackle trolleys can be adapted for scope transport. neoprene gloves have thumb and fore fingers that can be folded back for baiting hooks or focussing etc. ski salopettes and snow boots help keep the legs and feet dry and warm,

speaking as a all weather walker its down to layers start off with a long sleeve vest then fleece and on top a waterproof /windproof top good socks and walking boots plus a hat barbour do a good pair of fingerless gloves its essential to keep the extremiteies warm feet fingers and head standing still for to long is not a good idea keep wriggling toes hand warmers are good millets/blacks seem to be having a perpetual sale maybe you can pick up some bargains there

Decent thermals to start, then layers, decent snow boots and a hat is essential. I also wear a snood when outside at night (was wearing it last night!), pull the hat down and snood up, toasty!

As rowan46 says, fishing clothing is amongst the best designed for the cold.

Search the web for army surplus and they generally have the best base layers.

Barring that........look out of the window :)

Archived