Wheelchair bound newbie seeks advice

Hi,

I have read as much as I can find about equipment and use by people with limited mobility and think I have arrived at a solution that could work for me, but would appreciate all comments, advice and help with my first scope.

Constraints:

1) My budget is limited to around £400-500.

2) I cannot drive so all observations will be at home, which is fairly light polluted and I lose around the first 10 degrees of inclination from level because of surrounding buildings.

3) I can get out of my wheelchair, but only to sit down fairly quickly.

4) I am very limited in what I can carry, so things need to be fairly light.

What I have come up with so far, after spending a couple of hours in Opticstar in Sale, Manchester (and being very impressed with the patience and helpfulness of the salesman) :

1) I think a catadioptric presents the best solution regarding eye piece height and movement.

2) A Pole mount would be best as it would allow me to access all possible scope and eye piece angles whilst using the wheelchair.

The best mount seems to be that which comes with the Celestron Nexstar SEs, so I guess I am looking at the 4SE, because of my budget, much as I would like a bigger aperture OTA.

As for the pole, I have a very skilled brother who will help me construct a pole mount. The idea is to use a scaffolding pole or lifting jack, cut it down to the right height and fabricate a base plate and a mounting plate for the scope's mount.

Location would be a concrete base set into the lawn onto which the pole can be bolted. The scope and mount would be brought out when required, otherwise it would be stored indoors.

OK, what have I missed, am I being stupid or overlooking something obvious? Are there any alternatives? I would be happy to leave a non-powered mount outside, though it would not be in a building of any sort, if that raises any options.

I realise I need a good Dew Shield and power supply, but what else would I need from day 1?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

David

David - I think you logic is sound. I am not sure what a pole mount is but if it is like an Alt Az mount on a pedestal it should minimise the eye piece movement and allow wheel chair access. If you find this too difficult you might think of using an integrating video camera so that you can view on a TV while controlling the mount. It maybe outside your budget but they do work well and allow a live view of both solar system and deep sky objects. Good luck and wrap up well it can be quite cold observing.

Andrew

Thanks all for the replies.

I should also have written that my cold tolerance has been reduced by my illness, so though I do go out with my binoculars, looking like the Michelin Man in a wheelchair, my time outside is very limited. This was what made me think of going for a Go-To Scope, to save time. It also stopped me from looking at a Dob as, apart from the eye-piece moving around a lot, I did not want to waste time collimating the scope every time I went out. Otherwise, if I was an able-bodied newbie, I think a Dob would be very high on my list.

As for the pier mount, thanks Peter, I am surprised at the diameter required, but very grateful you saved my brother and myself from wasting our time with a smaller diameter pole. Does it matter what cross-section the pier is? We will try and source the correct sized tube on the net, but would square section be OK?

Hi David. You seem to have arrived at exactly the sort of solution I would have recommended. The Se series are great - I had the 6" Se and was delighted with it - very sad to sell it but necessary to fund the hobby.

I spotted this one yesterday that may interest you:-

First Light Optics - Celestron C5 Spotter Spotting Scope

It's actually billed as a Spotting scope but it is a Cassegrain and with a 5" aperture. If you're arranging your own pole mount then you only need the "OTA" (the telescope itself).

BTW - Opticstar were very helpful to me when I bought my scope and mount from them 3 years ago. They talk a lot of sense and understand the hobby well.

One final tip for keeping warm - Most of my work after setting up is done remotely from indoors now, but if I am outside for a while, I tuck a hot water bottle inside my coat over my jumper - works a treat.

Regards

John

Not really much i can add here. A pier sounds like a great idea. It removes any tripod legs that you may bump and perhaps knock over the scope.

If you decide not to go down that road then the Nexstar scopes are great. I have the 8" which is very portable, so the 4-5" is going to be even more so.

Archived