Synscan goto help

Hi, still new to this and sorry for all the questions.

I have a synscan goto 130p and bought the RS232 cable converter so I can plug my unit in to a usb port on my laptop, I would like to know some software I can use to contol my telescope. I have just downloaded stellarium form my laptop but not sure how to get it to work or if it will work with it. What software is best for this?

thank you.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're not using Stellarium (it's not my favourite, but it is a simple all-in-one solution), you can download ASCOM software, which is an industry-standard interface between computer control software and telescope hardware. All software listed here is free, and isn't that much bother to install.

You'll need the ASCOM platform - on this page, and a driver for your mount. SynScan mounts use a Celestron driver, so get that from this page. This software runs in the background ...

... but you'll want some planetarium software to make it work. Cartes du Ciel is a pretty good one, from here.

Latest version of Stellarium will work without anything else. Just check that your pc has recognised the new converter and it should be fine.

How will I know if it recognised it?

I just tried to get it to work and set it up in stellarium. in options i choose synscan ver 3.0 or later but it always says stopped.

I pressed ctrl and 1 (the number of the telescope) but it still winn not move it.

If you're not using Stellarium (it's not my favourite, but it is a simple all-in-one solution), you can download ASCOM software, which is an industry-standard interface between computer control software and telescope hardware. All software listed here is free, and isn't that much bother to install.

You'll need the ASCOM platform - on this page, and a driver for your mount. SynScan mounts use a Celestron driver, so get that from this page. This software runs in the background ...

... but you'll want some planetarium software to make it work. Cartes du Ciel is a pretty good one, from here.

Thank you for this, very much appriciated.

I just tried to get it to work and set it up in stellarium. in options i choose synscan ver 3.0 or later but it always says stopped.

I pressed ctrl and 1 (the number of the telescope) but it still winn not move it.

When you first plugged the USB cable into your pc did you get a "found new hardware" message? The adapter should show up in hardware manager (Start, Computer, System Properties, etc).

Stellarium doesn't require the ASCOM platform to drive a mount, it has its own internl drivers or you can also select to use an external program such as Stellariumscope.

Press F2 to go to the config options and then plugins. Select telescope control and press the run at startup button. Select configure and the Telescopes. Press ADD and then select "Stellarium directly through serial port" and "start/connect at startup". Change the com port number to the one windows has assigned your usb/serial adapter and select Skywatcher AZGOTO as your mount. Close down Stellarium and then restart, plug your mount into the computer.

Peter

Stellarium doesn't require the ASCOM platform to drive a mount, it has its own internl drivers or you can also select to use an external program such as Stellariumscope.

Press F2 to go to the config options and then plugins. Select telescope control and press the run at startup button. Select configure and the Telescopes. Press ADD and then select "Stellarium directly through serial port" and "start/connect at startup". Change the com port number to the one windows has assigned your usb/serial adapter and select Skywatcher AZGOTO as your mount. Close down Stellarium and then restart, plug your mount into the computer.

Peter

How do I know which port number was assigned? thanks

When you first plugged the USB cable into your pc did you get a "found new hardware" message? The adapter should show up in hardware manager (Start, Computer, System Properties, etc).

yes, I think i just need to find the port number, any adeas on how to do this?

Still no luck, the cable will not get recognised. I guess it's not compatible with windows 7. I will try on my mac and if it works I know it's not a cable problem. The only problem would be that my mac is inside the house so would be pretty useless when it needs to be outside.

Plug the SynScan handset into the computer, don't try to connect the mount directly.

I missed that, typing too quickly and switching back and forth from Stellarium and internet. The handset should be plugged into the mount and the cable from the computer into the correct socket in the handset.

Peter

it works with windows 7 just fine ,

have you downloaded the proper driver for the rs32 > usb converter ? :)

I will take a look now, just so you know, I bought the rs to USB cable from eBay for about £4, will that be the problem?

I bought a cheap converter from Amazon for £2.97 from a firm called Obozzo. I also run Windows 7. In the comments there is one mans explanation of how he configured this to run with windows 7 including a link to the file. I've followed his instructions and mine is recognised by Windows. If you think that this may help it is worth checking it out. Send me a PM if you need further help and I will check my laptop for the link if you do require it.

Archived