Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another quick Mars from Feb 2nd

cgarry

The quick process just used the last 10k frame AVI that I captured. This new process uses all 3 of the AVIs that I captured one after the other.

This is using a modified quality algorithm in PIPP that should do a better job of selecting frames for small planets such as Mars. That is the theory anyway. For this image PIPP selected the best 2000 frames from the source 30k frames and then Registax selected the best 1500 frames from PIPPs 2000 frames.

This is the final image and an up-scaled version:

post-21918-133877727029_thumb.jpg

post-21918-133877727031_thumb.jpg

I have found it particularly interesting looking at the planet's rotation when comparing these images with Space Cowboy's images taken a couple of hours later:

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-planetary/174074-quick-mars-feb-2nd-auto-dob-dfk.html#post2138511

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks for your comments, I am pleased how that image came out.

how did you modify the pipp quality algorithm for mars?

The modification simply takes account of the size of the planet on each frame as well as the local contrast. The idea is that frames with a smaller planet tend to have a bit less distortion. I am not that sure that it is that much of an improvement (if any!) over the standard algorithm though.

Cheers,

Chris

The quick process just used the last 10k frame AVI that I captured. This new process uses all 3 of the AVIs that I captured one after the other.

This is using a modified quality algorithm in PIPP that should do a better job of selecting frames for small planets such as Mars. That is the theory anyway. For this image PIPP selected the best 2000 frames from the source 30k frames and then Registax selected the best 1500 frames from PIPPs 2000 frames.

[ATTACH]78841[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]78842[/ATTACH]

I have found it particularly interesting looking at the planet's rotation when comparing these images with Space Cowboy's images taken a couple of hours later:

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-planetary/174074-quick-mars-feb-2nd-auto-dob-dfk.html#post2138511

Cheers,

Chris

You both got some good tight shots. You must be pleased with this, The good thing is its going to get better still, i havent tried since it was 10 arcsecs. we are already at 12 arcsecs. By the time this freeze lets us image again we are going to be bigger still. Should be some fun for everyone. Nice capture. nice and tight well done

The modification simply takes account of the size of the planet on each frame as well as the local contrast. The idea is that frames with a smaller planet tend to have a bit less distortion. I am not that sure that it is that much of an improvement (if any!) over the standard algorithm though.

Is this the -ms option?

For my attempts at Venus I had to reduce the default of -ms=50 to -ms=5

Initially I used pipp -q=1000 -ctr ven01.avi which resulted in zero frames!!!

I then changed it to pipp -q=1000 -ctr -ms=5 ven01.avi

which resulted in 1000 centred frames of Venus

I like pipp!

regards

Tony

[ATTACH]78841[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]78842[/ATTACH]

Cheers,

Chris

Interesting so what was the total capture time here do you know. Rotation doesnt look bad ?

Is this the -ms option?

For my attempts at Venus I had to reduce the default of -ms=50 to -ms=5

Initially I used pipp -q=1000 -ctr ven01.avi which resulted in zero frames!!!

I then changed it to pipp -q=1000 -ctr -ms=5 ven01.avi

which resulted in 1000 centred frames of Venus

I like pipp!

regards

Tony

No, the -ms (-minsize) option is used to detect if a planet is present or not. The reason it is set high by default is so that one of Jupiter's moons would not be incorrectly detected as a planet if Jupiter had wondered off the frame. You did the correct thing for a small Venus image.

I would also try -qmin=2 and -qmax=3 as the planet image is so small larger subsamples would be a waste of time. Another thought is since Venus does not have any real colour I would try PIPP's -rgbsplit option and just process the red channel as a monochrome image to reduce the prism effect of the atmosphere. Having said that I have never imaged Venus myself so that could all be rubbish!

Cheers,

Chris

Interesting so what was the total capture time here do you know. Rotation doesnt look bad ?

It would be just under 9 minutes covered by the 3 AVI files used. I am not sure if that is a bit too long, but 30,000 frames does give a good chance of picking out some sharp frames for stacking.

Cheers,

Chris

It would be just under 9 minutes covered by the 3 AVI files used. I am not sure if that is a bit too long, but 30,000 frames does give a good chance of picking out some sharp frames for stacking.

Cheers,

Chris

AH ok, yes it is a bit long but doent seem to have affected the image, i prefer the smoother more saturated version. 6 mins is regarded safe ground though one wonders about that as you have shown. Though of course at higher FLs rotation might be more of a problem on very fine detail. regardless its come out well, nice one

Archived