NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

National Space Centre in Leicester - disappointing; it could be better.

Flyingpig

I have visited the National Space Centre in Leicester many times (with the kids) and on my first visit I was impressed by the informative displays and the interactive experience, however the disappointing part was the planetarium show basically its a 3D cinema show with a space exploration theme, what happened to a proper planetarium show? Each visit it's the same thing and never a proper tour of the stars. I am disappointed to say the least as were my children; the films are more themed towards space exploration which has its place of course but what about the wonderment of a dark sky? I think they should ditch these cheesy 3D cinema films and show a proper planetarium show. Kids these days don't get to see a proper dark night sky unless they are lucky to live in a very dark rural location. The least the National Space Centre could do is replicate the dark sky experience for them and perhaps do a small cinema film afterwards that shows deep space objects and planets at higher magnification. These films could be shown at other times or even rotated with a proper planetarium show. Just a thought!

I think the Leicester Astronomy Society meets in the National Space Centre building, is anyone here a member and do they know if the centre ever stages proper planetarium shows?

I must admit that the space race exhibit is exceptionally good though.

The Nat Space Ctr is great first one or two times round, but would benefit from a sky tour as you say. They do in fact have a tour but I've only seen it shown on open evenings staged by Leics Astro Soc (of wich I'm a member).

The sky tour is more suitable for adults though - small kids would get too fidgety. We have one or two members who work there so we do have close links.

If you want to register a suggestion though it needs to go to the Space Center cos the two organisations are otherwise seperate entities. :)

The Nat Space Ctr is great first one or two times round, but would benefit from a sky tour as you say. They do in fact have a tour but I've only seen it shown on open evenings staged by Leics Astro Soc (of wich I'm a member).

The sky tour is more suitable for adults though - small kids would get too fidgety. We have one or two members who work there so we do have close links.

If you want to register a suggestion though it needs to go to the Space Center cos the two organisations are otherwise seperate entities.

Thanks for that info, I think I might send them a few ideas. Do you happen to know when your society is next having an open day? I'd love to see that sky tour you have mentioned, I dont live not too far away (20-25 miles) in Warwickshire so it's not difficult to pop over.

When I went, the cheesy space tour was included in the ticket price, but my understanding was that there was another sky tour show that you could pay for separately, not sure though. I agree that this would be a better option.

Strangely I thought the cafe prices ok, particularly compared with other ' attractions'. Generally I thought it a very good day

Stu

The space shows in the Sir Patrick Moore Planetarium are created to promote astronomy through the channels of history, science, developments and networking; aiming to provide an interactive platform for those wishing to learn more. Our current show 'We Are Astronomers' is one of the most popular shows the centre has ever had; narrated by David Tennant and highly interactive for audiences of all ages.

Around the exterior of the theatre there are show posters including 'Tour Of The Night Sky' which is a presenter led, realtime tour of the stars and planets using magnified imagery and detailed explanations. Tours of the Night Sky are shown during peak periods and for educational groups however we now have a prequel to all shows which is a short narrative by Sir Patrick Moore talking about his favourite sites in the Night Sky; once again with explanations and magnified imagery.

If you do have any suggestions or ideas for the centre, please do send us an email so that we can investigate and potentially implement any changes. That is how some of our new exhibits were created; through visitor feedback.

Around the exterior of the theatre there are show posters including 'Tour Of The Night Sky' which is a presenter led, realtime tour of the stars and planets using magnified imagery and detailed explanations. Tours of the Night Sky are shown during peak periods and for educational groups however we now have a prequel to all shows which is a short narrative by Sir Patrick Moore talking about his favourite sites in the Night Sky; once again with explanations and magnified imagery.

This must be relatively new then, since on the many visits I have made with the children I have not noticed the posters you mention (although my last visit was six months ago back in August last year). I do believe I left a suggestion regarding a planetarium show in the suggestion box whilst I was there on that visit. If you indeed added the Patrick Moore introduction following my suggestion then I greatly appreciate that you are taking these suggestions on board. Thanks I appreciate your internal perspective on the subject.

One further suggestion I would like to make is for an amateur observers and imagers display featuring things such as the various types of amateur telescopes and binoculars and imaging equipment - perhaps it could include a feature on Brian Cox and Stargazing live, dark sky parks and islands and star parties. An information list of astronomical clubs and societies would be a good idea too; particularly those local to the midlands area.

Does anybody have any other ideas; then I will email them forward?

I agree about the planetarium. I remember going to one in London when I was a child and I still remember it now. I think it increased my interest in astronomy.

Cafe prices are astonomical everywhere in my experience!

Simon

I actually went to the Royal Observatory yesterday and visited the planetarium at the same time. We saw "The Secret Life Of Stars", which was not bad, but pretty simple and basic in information, but is targeted mostly at people and kids with little or no knowledge of the stars, so that is to be accepted i suppose.

Archived