NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hard game this hobby

Ian123

Observing time: 18:00-21:55

Just had a my first light with my new scope and it proved quite hard work.

Set my sight's on Auriga first, tried to locate the cluster's but to no avail. Got my pocket sky atlas by my side and tried to orient myself to the constellation.

This proved very difficult indeed, decided to starhopp from Alnath, how hard could that be!! VERY!!

Centered the star in my finder then over to my 25mm EP, no problem there, from then on it was difficult to say the least finding anything.

Decided then to just scan around, bingo, cluster in the EP.

Scanned again and then lost it, this went on for approx 2 HOURS!!

Finally got it by locating 4 stars in more or less straight line, on top of them were 2 stars parallel to each other, up then a little north east and there was M36.

Just south west i believe is Phi Aurigae, then slightly north west from there i located M38, unable to find M37 though!!

Other firsts for me were M44 and spliiting Castor (alpha Germinorum).

The best view was till last when the atlas did help in locating M35, nice dense cluster.

All in all it was a little frustrating but i think after more practice it will soon become easier locating objects, will be nipping out later as well to catch Saturn as that will be up soon.

BTW, it is absolutely freezing out, had to nip in twice to put extra pairs of socks on.

Also just ordered a new EP today, will be receiving soon the Celestron X-Cel LX 25mm so i can compare it with the stock one that came with the scope.

Congrats on your new scope.

I'm sure it will just take a couple of sessions getting used to it. M37 is a bright target but one of those that is probably easier to find in binoculars.

Try the cluster M67 in Cancer. It is feinter but very rich (over 200 stars) and quite easy to locate so long as you can see the main stars in the constellation.

It's not a great night for spotting faint objects, to be honest. The moon washes out a lot of them. I've completely failed to find three Messier objects I was hoping to see tonight and have decided to leave things until the moon is lower in the sky (assuming I can stay awake that long) as I still want to try to find a few in Virgo.

James

Hi Ian

It's only going to get easier.

Regards Steve

Despite suffering my injuries a week ago today and spending 6 hours in what must be minus temp now can only get better.

Been out since half twelve and just got in now.

Been waiting for Saturn to peer it's head so in the meantime i had a shifty at locating some objects.

Perseus was in the west nicely and thought i'd give it try, Got Mirphak in the finder, slowly moving westward due to position it was i eventually found NGC869 & 884 the double cluster.

Nicely centered in my 25mm EP despite the close proximity of the moon, both clusters showing nice close grouping of stars in the center and a scattering around of other stars.

Concentrated on that for a while and a look back at M36 & M38, thought i'd give it go seeing as Auriga was more to the west and lower and bang! M37, gotcha.

Across to Gemini for another peek at M35, liking this cluster.

Got to about 2:00 and Saturn was just about peering over the houses but not able to see in the scope yet as it's quite low to the ground at a narrow angle.

Eventually my finder was starting to frost up and not even seeing the cross hairs and Mars was not even clear through it, was gutted i had to pack up without catching the ringed planet.

My ribs are aching like mad and shoulder and back, not sure when i'll be next out now, scope a little awkward and heavy in this condition:( so hopefully in a few weeks will be out again.

Thoroughly enjoyable night with a few new objects seen.

Yo , nice. I was so cold last night that I pushed a hot water bottle down the back of my trousers so it rested up my back. This slightly took the chill off the NE wind. Primark longjohns,winterbuff, Alpacca socks,mountain boots and a Montane Extreme Smock hepled.BRRRRRR!

Hint: The easiest target to aim for at the moment is.....the Moon. :)

I spent roughly about 45 minutes observing the Moon.

Great views of craters; Eratosthenes, Copernicus on the Terminator and also Montes Appenninus which looked spectacular.

Can anyone recommend a decent Lunar atlas and also what is the definitive Lunar 100, seen a couple of websites and there are some descrepencies between the actual 100 list.

Can anyone recommend a decent Lunar atlas and also what is the definitive Lunar 100, seen a couple of websites and there are some descrepencies between the actual 100 list.

I've recently bought Observing the Moon by Gerald North. Fascinating and detailed book which I refer to before and after looking at Luna.

Others may recommend books by Rukl etc but I find them a bit dated...

The free software Virtual Moon Atlas is indespensible.

I've recently bought Observing the Moon by Gerald North. Fascinating and detailed book which I refer to before and after looking at Luna.

Others may recommend books by Rukl etc but I find them a bit dated...

The free software Virtual Moon Atlas is indespensible.

Cheers Grunthos, i have downloaded vitual moon and it is great but i would like a book to take out with me when observing.

Looked at the book at Amazon but when viewing pages there is no map's on the preview, does it give good detail on the various craters and all other features, cheers.

Archived