Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

imaging the sun with baader filter

paul101

hi

im planing to make a filter for my st80 using the baader film, i also plan to image the sun through this scope. im used to imaging dso's and am getting good results, do i use the same methods for the sun and with the processing?

is there a way of making the sun look orange on a black backgroung during processing whilst keeping a good image quality?

thanks for any help

paul

Usually a mono camera is used (or color image is changed to gray scale) and then colorized after processing. If you have a "planetary" camera then you do it the "planetary" way. If a DS - then you capture 50-100 frames at good histogram fill and stack that...

Some processing options for colouring...

Colourize option

Overlay layer mode with a colour fill

Duo-tones

Whatever pleases your eye.

The ST80 is a fast scope, you would need even lower exposures for the images. Some times I bracket mine and take maybe Gigabytes of images then pick what's best.

Focusing is key to getting a good image. I also use an IR block filter and a Continuum filter. I think that is the best you can get without a Wedge, but given the price of wedges, it is probably more justifiable to spend that on a PST Ha scope. White light gets limited after a while and I cannot justify spending 600 GBP on a wedge when a PST narrowband scope is 500 GBP and gives so much more viewing/imaging. I also wouldn't want to stick a wedge on a very fast scope either.

I got a motor on my focuser, it helps a LOT for very fine focusing. Makes a huge difference if it is very focused.

For DSLR focusing use the live view on a sunspot and zoom in one level ( max zoom will make it move out of frame very very fast :) ). Also a cable release (programmable with Continuus shooting on pressing is good) then I can just take lots of images to the card and pick the best ones depending on the seeing (it wobbles a lot up there).

I check www.spaceweather.com before I do any solar images to see if its worth while anything interesting happening on it.

A webcam or DMK will gve better results - catch those momnets of good seeing and use the best frames of the AVI to stack a crisp solar image. Yes, the DSLR can be used, but the DMK is easier, faster, better.

Depends if you like carting out a laptop and power supplies/cables every time :) (don't forget you have to bring them back in too.. and if it rains... PANIC :) )

Yes, That's the case...but if you want the best images your gear can give you...that's the price you pay.

Best images are on a wedge, which I think is a waste of money given the alternatives :) I honestly don't think white light solar imaging is worth investing a lot of money in.

It is a budget imaging wavelength and what it gives is severely limited. I think white light is a case of use what you have, then move onto narrow band, that is, if you want to get good value from your money. Or if you really have to buy stuff for white light, then buy stuff you can re purpose to other imaging so it is not wasted.

I'm just saying because I have hit the limit of what I get on white light and so much more happening in narrowband that you are better pumping your money into for a bigger return.

I would love a coronagraph for white light but it is very hard to purchase one, it seems to be a case of DIY.

I regularly photograph the Sun in white light with a DSLR and you can get good results. Generally I take 60+ JPEG's and stack them in Registax 5. Final sharpening and colourisation in Photoshop. PM me if you want details of my method (its not a secret - just a bit long winded! and certainly not the only method). Focussing is fairly easy with a Canon camera as you can use live view - otherwise its just trial and error. The great advantage with the Sun is the abundance of light - so a few extra frames is no big deal.

hi

thanks everyone for your advice, ill get some film tomorrow and try to get some pics over the weekend. ill post on here as soon as i can.

i have seen the thousand oak film but it seems to get a bit of a negative review on here so i thought id start with the baader film

cheers chaps

Best images are on a wedge, which I think is a waste of money given the alternatives :) I honestly don't think white light solar imaging is worth investing a lot of money in.

It is a budget imaging wavelength and what it gives is severely limited. I think white light is a case of use what you have, then move onto narrow band, that is, if you want to get good value from your money. Or if you really have to buy stuff for white light, then buy stuff you can re purpose to other imaging so it is not wasted.

I'm just saying because I have hit the limit of what I get on white light and so much more happening in narrowband that you are better pumping your money into for a bigger return.

I would love a coronagraph for white light but it is very hard to purchase one, it seems to be a case of DIY.

A wedge is the best way forward with regards WL imaging, with the Baader film coming in not too far behind in second place. I wouldn't even entertain any of the other WL solar filters - they come in a distant last place. Whichever method is used, for imaging, a UV/IR cut filter is a must to keep contrast to highest levels. A narrow bandpass filter used in conjunction with this will improve things still further.

There's absolutely loads going on in WL, certainly from an imaging perspective. How do you do your WL images? I'm certain there's more that could be done to tease more out than you have so far... :)

A wedge is the best way forward with regards WL imaging, with the Baader film coming in not too far behind in second place. I wouldn't even entertain any of the other WL solar filters - they come in a distant last place. Whichever method is used, for imaging, a UV/IR cut filter is a must to keep contrast to highest levels. A narrow bandpass filter used in conjunction with this will improve things still further.

There's absolutely loads going on in WL, certainly from an imaging perspective. How do you do your WL images? I'm certain there's more that could be done to tease more out than you have so far... :)

Given the cost of a Wedge vs a PST, I think PST is the better way forward.

It opens up much more viewing/imaging for the money. If you've already done White light and want more, spend your money on entering Ha I think, later on you can always do a PST mod on a larger refractor OTA.

I already use IR blocking filters, I already use Continuum filters. The only thing I don't have is a wedge, and no way am I going to dump 600 GBP on one when a PST is 500 GBP or there about. I think its just insane.

Given the images I see on Ha PST's vs White light, it's a no brainer.

Link the two best solar images you can get,.. one for white light and one for Ha... I bet most will prefer Ha.

Archived