Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

which dslr?

amyscott

Amy, what sort of budget are you looking at ?? Something like the Canon 1100d would be a good starting point ...

This is a good resource for prices

I'm working on the basis, as you've listed the thread under imaging topics, you're wanting it for Astro photography ?

Amy, as an entry level consider using a Canon 1100D or 1000D. The Sony (and Nikon) are very good cameras but very under supported in the astrophotography community. There are very good computer control programs for Canon camera such as APT & Backyard EOS which make using them for astro a bit easier, plus theres the free software with the Canons.

All I can say is that my Canon EOS 1100D is very much better for AP than my older Sony A200. The noise level is much lower in the Canon and it is much more sensitive, going up to ISO 6400. I'm very pleased with my Sony for general (terrestrial) photography but found it inadequate for AP. Canon DSLRs are very well supported for AP whereas other makes have almost non-existent support. I bought the Canon specially for AP, paying just over £300 for a body. Looks an excellent buy to me though the skies have not permitted much use of it!

• 2 months later...

Archived