Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another re-edit M51

MartinB

Sorry about this but in the absence of any stars all I can do is work on developing processing skills and routines. This is an M51 image from last March. It was with an ED120 on a GPDX mount and it was very windy. Stars were deformed in all the subs due to the wind so the processing was a bit of a rescue job, quite a challenge. Have been trying out deconvolution routines in CCDsharp which is free and very easy to use. This is the main change to the original but have treated the colour differently. I definitely think the resolution has been improved with the reprocess.

Re-edit

image.jpg

Original

image.jpg

The stack. I think you need the better s/n ratio, plus the combined image should more accurately show the convolution that needs deconvolving, if that makes sense. Apart from this, the deconvolve with CCD sharp takes about 5 mins on my machine so doing on the subs wouldn't be feasible.

I have also tried deconvolving with ImagesPlus and Maxim. CCDsharp is much neater and doesn't involve inputing a set of variables. Just sample an appropriate selection of stars and it does the rest. The key is not overdoing it.

Works really well Ant. Only trouble seems to be it is a bit fussy about the fits it will except. Doesn't like floating points fits. Maxim can save as SBIG format fits which it does like (not surprisingly)

Archived