Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

At last, Jupiter!

Naz

With limited chances and plenty off cloud when I do have the time, I was beginning to despair of seeing Jupiter this year.

Went out to lock the garage, at about 11.30ish last night, the sky was clear and hanging over the neighbours roof was Jupiter, so I dragged the dob out and set up, went back in and waited for the local streetlight to go off at midnight.

When I went out, fitted the 10mm plossl and focused on Jupiter, the four main moons in a row, two either side. The clearest I had ever seen, apart from a bit off heat turbulence from the roof, I got fleeting views of the main belts, and tantalising glimpses of finer detail.

If I could have gone to a suitable dark sky site locally, even with the altitude of Jupiter, I think I could have seen quite a lot of detail.

With the 6mm plossl, the air was boiling to much, so no point trying the barlow, back to the 10mm.

Didn't see the GRS, but I didn't check if it was visible, think not.

Looking forward to having more time to spend observing, looks promising :)

naz

Here in Northeast Scotland it has been thick clouds for 3 weeks with only 1 clear night for any observation.

Seems not a really good summer this year. :o

One of the reasons I moved here :shock: was to avoid the poor weather :) :x

All the clouds that you have suffered over the last weeks appear to come in off the Atlantic, straight over here, before heading north. :D:) :x

naz :):o

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Naz,didyou live in Orkney,i was born in Stromness but now live across the firth in thurso.

We've had quite a few clear nights over the last few weeks but as you know living up here only

the brightest things show up this time of year,but we have the long dark winter to look forward to.

Hi Naz,did you live in Orkney,i was born in Stromness but now live across the firth in thurso.

We've had quite a few clear nights over the last few weeks but as you know living up here only

the brightest things show up this time of year,but we have the long dark winter to look forward to.

Yes I lived at Grimbister until last year, until the search for drier / warmer / darker skies in summer. Only succeded in the last two :wink::cool:

Will miss the Aurora displays, but not the wind :lol:

Yes WH, the sky is fairly dark from midnightish until about 5 AM. Much better than seeing only mag 1 stars and the brighter planets for about two months.

naz

Archived