NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

There are big eyepieces and BIG eyepieces ....

This pic was posted on another web astro forum. It shows the Meade 5000 30mm UWA in a Borg 78mm refractor. According to the owner the eyepiece weighs more than 2lbs and makes it very difficult to balance any scope that it's used in !.

It does look a bit of a monster :shock:

image.jpg

John

I guess the 34mm SWA is the Meade equivilent to the Tele Vue 35mm Panoptic and the 30mm UWA is Meade's Nagler 31mm rival. Anyone know how they match up performance-wise ?.

John

It's the 2" Meade Series 5000 34mm SWA and sells for £220 (before SGL discount).

Simply panning the Milky Way with one of these and a Dobsonian is a joy 8)

<edit> Weight is 810 grams. They also offer a 40mm that weighs 1257 grams but the 30mm UWA is still heavier at 1360 grams!

Ouch! Imagine that falling on your foot. Could be hopping around the garden all night! :)

Why not use Kilo's hehe .81k and 1.257 Kilo (a bag of sugar is only 1k)

Final question can you use it as an ashtray while observing or if you do not smoke like myself can you let your mrs. use it as a emergency makeup mirror :)

Kindest regards David

It's the 2" Meade Series 5000 34mm SWA and sells for £220 (before SGL discount).

Simply panning the Milky Way with one of these and a Dobsonian is a joy 8)

<edit> Weight is 810 grams. They also offer a 40mm that weighs 1257 grams but the 30mm UWA is still heavier at 1360 grams!

Just got me one of those for my Dob, I bought it with my scope but I'm still waiting for it to arrive :) Patience is a virtue though and besides it would be sitting in a box waiting for a clear night anyway.

Phil

Where's the pin? They look like a high tech hand grenade :)

I'm planning on getting a 28mm SWA sometime for my soon to arrive 12" dob. I'm thinking the exit pupil may be a little on the large size for me and an f/5 dob with the 34mm or 40mm eyepiece.

It does look a bit of a monster :shock:

"Bit of a monster" ? That there is a BEAST. You'll need two cranes w/ 5" thick re-inforced cables and an industrial platform lift just to drop it in the telescope! :shock: Does it have it's own climate inside the elements ? :)

Are the views really worth that money ?

Matt

I saw one of these at the South West Astronomy Fair last year - it is huge!

In fact, when I think about it, some of the elements in there are probably almost as large as the objective of my first telescope... :shock:

Lee.

Archived