Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC 2244, NGC2237 - Rosette nebula & open cluster

Tim

This large nebula near Orion is full of interesting pillars and clouds. The stars in the central open cluster have been formed from content within the nebula itself.

The nebula and cluster lie around 5000 light years from earth.

Picture taken with Skywatcher Quattro F4 10" Newtonian telescope and QHY8 camera. Fifteen minute exposures.

Thanks for looking. Click image for full size version.

Tim

tim-albums-quattro-pictures-picture15416-rosette-nebula-quattro-qhy8-jan2012-15min-exposures.jpg

It wasn't many Rob, 9 or 10 I think. I somehow rotated the camera between the two nights I captured it and so the two series dont exactly match up, and that has added to the noise, and they required two different sets of flats which I couldn't be bothered with tbh so just applied the one set. Although, in the full size tiff version the noise doesn't show up so much, jpegging it doesn't do it many favours :icon_salut:

Might add some more, but Orion is getting harder to spend any time on each night now, and because i'm using two filters to get the spacing right (IR + CLS) I'm getting a lot of dew between them which takes some mucking about with at the start of the session.

I'm actually waiting on a new camera arriving, another mono, but thought it only fair to give the QHY a bit of a 'walkies' before it comes.

Cheers

Tim

I 'think' the cluster is NGC2244 Ron, and then there are various parts of the nebula assigned NGC labels, with 2237 being the main. Might be wrong, that's just how I read it :icon_salut:

You're right Tim. I've corrected my error :evil:.

Archived