NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Moonlite at f8- single or dual speed?

A McEwan

Hi all. The Helios 150 f8 is about due its Moonlite focuser upgrade... but I can't decide whether to go for a single-speed or dual-speed model. I-ve used dual-speed ones in the past and found them excellent but at f8 I don't know if the fine-focus is required.

But... I'm open to persuasion either way! Which would you go for? (the single-speed is £75 less costly...)

Ant B-)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

go for the single speed, more in keeping with the traditional long tube achro, and get a bahtinov mask to ensure focus is perfect, my Tal100 has single speed crayford and i use the bahtinov mask to great effect

I agree that a single speed should be fine but for me even for visual, once used to fine focus, it's so nice to have and use. Personally, I will always buy dual speed for my (visual only) scopes no matter what the focal ratio. In the scheme of things it's not a big price difference and for me, it's 'forever', enhances the whole experience and for all eyepieces and targets.

Archived