Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

2" EP for 12 " Revelation Dob

Rapallokid

Hi,

I am looking for some advise on a 2" eyepiece for a 12" Dobsonian.

I currently have three eyepieces in 1.25 and I use them between the dob and a nexstar 6 se.

They are Celestron excel lx 9mm 24mm and a 26mm plossel. I also use a 2 x celestron barlow.

I wanted to try a 2" EP in the dob to see how they perform. Ideally I am looking at a 30mm + wide view. I dont want to break the bank and was looking at the GSO revelation eyepieces.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

RK

depends on the focal ratio of the scope, if it is f5, you want to keep the eyepiece focal length <25mm or so or the exit pupil will get >5mm and so you might lose light as your pupil can't capture it all. You might be better off getting wider field eyepieces that will work with a fast scope (UWAN/Nirvana are reckoned to be pretty good), the wider field of view will look better than the narrower one from a plossl.

Do some calculations for field of view, focal length, exit pupil etc and decide what the maximum focal length you need is. Remember that a shorter focal length with a wider field of view will give the same apparent field of view, but a darker sky background as the magnfication will be higher.

Cheers

PEterW

Dodge,

I dont know if you are a member of the CNAAG nut I plan on going to their next meeting on the 31st. Maybe if you are there i can take a look.

Thanks again

RK

Sorry mate, didn't see the reply. I'm not a member of that group.

Where in Oxon are you? (PM me if you want to keep it private).

Cheers.

Archived