Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Guiding conversion project for 200p and EQ5

Quatermass

The 350d sounds like a good bet, thanks guys. I've got a G9 at the moment but it doesn't seem very good for astrophography.

I think I will have to stay up late one night and modify the 350d so the missus doesn't find out. Especially if I've traded in our perfectly good G9 for it. I have a long history of taking things apart and not being able to put them back together :-)

Modding the 350 comes in to flavours one is you simply remove the filter which will mean it wont be any use for anything but astrophotography the other is you take out the old filter and replace it with a baader filter so you can carry on using it as a normal camera. I bought a cheap second hand one and modded it so I didnt regret making it into a filterless camera just for astrophotography.

The mod is not hard to do just fiddly and time consuming and thats coming from someone who was scared to even open the camera up and take a look inside.;)

I'm checking with one of the professional modders right now on prices for getting my 40D properly done.

I'm also on the lookout for a 450D that I can mod myself.

I'll need to think about this some more.

On a positive side, BBC is predicting the possibility of some clear skies for a few hours tonight. Going to have a crack at the Rosette I think.

I'm sure if I read through the procedure a few times I'll be alright. I do rush thing when I'm getting tired and bored though :-)

I do want to be able to use it for normal photography too. Thanks for all the help and advice.

I'm trying to exchange my Celestron 130eq and mount at the moment or at least get it fixed and sell it (the mount is falling apart).

Some suppliers still have the HEQ5 (£500), so that's still a possibility.

Hey QM just picked up my shop modded 350D, and it looks in great nick, comes with a 4GB memory card as a bonus:)

Theres one thing I'm trying to figure out though and I think you might have an Idea:) The guy I bought it off said the prevous owner had it modded at a cost of 200 pounds, so I'm trying to figure out if its simply had the filter removed or if its had a Baader filter replacement? I attached my 18-55mm lens and tooks some pics which are nearly in focus and reddish, so I'm not sure if this is how yours looks if you attach a lens or if its worth playing around with the balance settings, I thought I'd ask you before I start playing with the settings in case you know the answer straight away?

Any ideas, Cheers Chris

Thanks QM I'll have a peak:) I've been following Gina's thread, bless her the torn ribbon is a bit of a downer, hopefully its a part she can get hold off without too much trouble..

Edited by starfox

Guys, going back to the EQ5 mod, I just got the USB adaptor from soestring astronomy today. I bought it from USA because the price was £55 with no RJ cable as oposed to the £80 from the UK but with the Rj cable. Well, I'm really annoyed. After waiting for ages for it, I had to pay £19 in customs duty. Ridiculous! I think this is the last thing I order from USA.

This customs duty seems to me quite arbitrary and capricious. At the post offiice they implied that some days you get lucky, some you get unlucky with it. The fact that you QM didn't pay duty for the very same item says it all. I could understand paying £1 or £3 but... £19 that's about 40% of the price of the item. That's a joke.

So good weather forecast for tonight? Brilliant! I checked with stellarium and the Moon won't set till 4:30am. I might concentrate on Mars and Saturn or the Moon itself. Never tried our satellite before. What settings would you recommend? DSR or webcam?

If its the moon try a 2xbarlow on the camera if you have one with the right fitting. If its saturn or mars barlow and webcam. Might have another go at mars tonight with the webcam but not going to bed till very late.:) Have fun :)

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk

Thanks, that's the best one so far but I'll try tonight again :). If I'm not mistaken Mars is in oposition tonight and it won't be as close to us for another two years. Considering the Moon is up there and planets are quite bright, I would give it a go QM!

Seeing wasnt too great by end of the night but got the webcam out and managed a reasonable shot of saturn such a cool planet and m101 but the moon was too bright for any thing great.

5ac68ed6-2698-1dbd.jpg

My guided imaging is on hold at the moment. The weather is appalling and I can't find a good target that's within my field of view.

I had a crack at M31 even though I can only get an hour or so on it before it drops behind trees.

I can only get 2-3 very faint guide stars on my 9x50 quick cam pro 4000 finder/guider for M31, is this normal ?

The signal to noise on them is so poor that I'm better off going unguided it seems.

I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do to improve the sensitivity of the webcam.

I've played with just about every setting on the webcam options for PHD.

Probably darker skies and an unrestricted field of view would help, but I've not yet found a good site near Cambridge.

Edited by badgers

Hi badgers, have you tried the Xbox live cam, I don't know how it would compare to a QC4000, but at only £5 on amazon it would be worth a go. There is some info on here for modding them and I think Gina has tried it for guiding.

hi badger. I think the webcam is ok on nice clear night but ultimatly a better camera would give better star detection like the QHY5. Weather is horrible as well I found the webcam could pick up fainter stars if you keep at it and taken darks with phd helps a bit. As I am new to guiding like yourself its going to take time to learn it all but at least we have now got what we need to make a start. Just need some nice weather to try it all out in.

If the weathers not that great have a go at mars and saturn with the webcam and a 2xbarlow that is great fun.

Edited by Quatermass

hi badger. I think the webcam is ok on nice clear night but ultimatly a better camera would give better star detection like the QHY5. Weather is horrible as well I found the webcam could pick up fainter stars if you keep at it and taken darks with phd helps a bit. As I am new to guiding like yourself its going to take time to learn it all but at least we have now got what we need to make a start. Just need some nice weather to try it all out in.

If the weathers not that great have a go at mars and saturn with the webcam and a 2xbarlow that is great fun.

Ahh, I didn't know you could take darks in PHD that's definitely worth a go.

Seeing wasnt too great by end of the night but got the webcam out and managed a reasonable shot of saturn such a cool planet and m101 but the moon was too bright for any thing great.

5ac68ed6-2698-1dbd.jpg

Nice one. What barlow are you using?