Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Penallta Park

stevetynant

Hi everyone - I read in a couple of the threads that you were considering a meet in Penallta Park but I didn't see whether anyone had actually spent a night there.

As I only live a mile or so away I just wondered if anyone had been there in the night and what their experiences were.

So far my experience with the new scope only extend to my S Facing front garden which isn't ideal - I'm considering going down to the fields opposite the Machen mile - sort of between Machen and Rhiwderin - I've been there in the day walking and although its not too far away from Newport I suspect the wide open vista might be worth a trip - easy car parking aswel - anyway - appreciate your thoughts

Steve

Will do Matt - perhaps I'll take a drive up on Saturday night - I know the parkings fine and theres a wide open field there that would probably be ideal - I just get the suspicion that you may well get the orange glow a bit up there if its anything like where I live - for the same reason I've decided against the MACHEN mile site- I drove past there at about 6:30 this morning and it was glowing orange but that was with cloud cover which no doubt amplifies the issue - anyhows I'll keep you posted although I suspect Helen may already have checked it out as she lives pretty close to me so must have condidered it in the past?

cheers

Steve

Actually come to think of it I wonder if there are any truly dark field sites in S Wales- even driving back accross the Beacons which I do pretty regularly you can still see the glow in the sky there - I'm wondering whether you would actually have to make your way into Mid Wales to get a truly dark sky site?

Steve

I been up on Machen common (turn at the church on Machen mile) when i lived in Rhiwderin, the road getting there is bumpy but once at the top you have a large area, its quite a dark site but you are looking down at a few towns with lights, not to bad tho had some nice views.

bit of an update on this - I went up for a look last night at about 8:30pm. It was cloudy and there was snow on the floor but there was a definite orange haze in the sky especially as you look towards Caerphilly - I know the clouds amplify this effect but its a dark sky I'm after and I could get this in my back garden.

There wer also a few teenagers hanging around by their cars- what the hell they were doing up there in the cold and dark I'm not sure but I wouldn't now recommend this site and am looking for somewhere fairly local to get a decent dark sky night myself - any suggestions gratefully received.

Steve

I'm sure Matt - I know even coming through Brecon theres this glow in the sky - so I'm probably thinking of somewhere fairly local and better than I have in the front garden and then once every few months perhaps try out something a bit special that I'll have to drive to - no rush and I travel to Mid Wales fairly regulary so I'll make it my project to find somewhere :0)

Archived