Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Non-Mains installation - Battery charging cable

Macavity

For various reasons, I'm initially restricting my observatory to low voltage (12V leisure battery) power. Of course then, you've still got to allow (mains) extension cable access - Leave the door open <sigh> etc., for battery charging. I now propose some subset of:

extmains.jpg

These "flush sockets" particularly do seem to have potential (no pun intended!). I could then treat my observatory as a (very static!) caravan or motor-home, and just "plug it in" as and when charging is needed. :)

I sense one should recognise SAFETY aspects. I do intend to be very careful. Aside: I do wonder about some "adapters" - My Neighbour's (metal!) Caravan etc., connected (fairly directly) to the household mains etc. :)

I'm thinking seriously about RCD current trips at the "house end". Checking "IP" (splash-proof) socket ratings too. :)

Why not simply take the battery indoors, to recharge and save the expense, until such time you run a proper mains supply to your Obs?.

Use the saved money on a second battery, so then you have a ready replacement in a charged state, thereby saving time.

Ron.

I would definitely recommend using an RCD at the house end. Not that I like these temporary connections. I agree a second battery charged indoors would be much better and safer.

Perhaps I should reiterate that this is an alternative solution to help ME with an exhausted budget, limited weight lifting / carrying capabilities etc. Not least I want to see the END of observatory building. <cheerfully> :)

I am slightly surprised at some of the commonly available connection systems used by the "outdoor" community. But a fair improvement on some forum images of corroded connectors etc. on some, more "vintage", vehicles. :) :)

If I was running on a bank of 12V batteries I'd consider using a trickle charger to keep them topped up. Solar or small wind turbine depending on your location.

Solar-Powered 12V 12W Battery Charger : Amorphous Solar Panel Kits : Maplin Electronics

12V 50W Telescopic Vertical Axis Wind Turbine : Wind Power : Maplin Electronics

Hmm.... that wind turbine looks a good idea but only one out of ten reviewers gave it high praise with mostly very poor assessments. Shame - good principle poorly implemented.

If you're going to treat your observatory as a static caravan and hook it up, why not fit the internal observatory wiring anyway and run all your kit from the mains, hooking up every night? Why bother hooking up to charge the battery, which could just as easily be done indoors as mentioned? At some point in future you can replace the hook up with a permanent connection.

With this idea, I can run the observatory permanently (as is) on low voltage, during night-time observing sessions - And only hook up the [caravan] mains cable, during "safe", dew free, daylight hours. I'm never really going to require a regular source of mains power in the observatory. If I'm really in need, during the day, I can run power tools off a normal extension. On a few nights, I have run a (bright) 240V / 100W bulb via a (non-sinusoidal) Maplin's inverter... :)

Hey, maybe (probably!) I'm just odd? :)

Archived