NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How to build a refractor/reflector?

Russe

• 2 weeks later...

I'd have thought that building a big reflector might be worth it financially but you'd be hard put to compete with a cheap Chinese Dob on price/performance. But then that might not be your motivation. You might find David Lukehurst's site interesting. He does parts as well as whole scopes and is a good guy.

David Lukehurst - Large Portable Dobsonian Dobson Dobsons Telescopes - Index

Olly

Free free to look at my DIY posts and album profile to see some refractors made with drainpipes. Probably easier than a reflector.

Objective lenses don't popup that often but I got most of mine from Ebay. I have several 90mm lenses and a recently acquired 127mm.

Other sources of lenses are:

Objective Lenses - Surplus Shed

U.K. Astronomy Buy & Sell

Good luck with whatever you build

John

if you are starting out in astronomy you can't beat the price of import scopes. As you gain experience you may want something bigger and/or better, and then building it yourself can save you a lot of money, if you have the right skills or the patience to learn them. There are numerous books, websites and forums to give you ideas - and ask here.

Good luck,

Eric

Hi there

Personally I think a good book is of great help to any aspiring telescope builder.

Build Your Own Telescope, Complete Plans for Five Telescopes you can Build with Simple Hand tools, by Richard Berry

This one helped me build my 10" Dob, it works pretty well as most that have used it will concur.

This is the one I'm using for reference now with my latest project.

The Dobsonian Telescope, A Practical Manual for Building Large Aperture Telescopes by David Kriege and Richard Berry

This one is referred to by many as the Dob builders bible.

As you can see this book store has several others, but not having tried any of the others I cannot recommend them.

HTH

Regards Steve

Archived