Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cheap Barlow -- avoid it?

smolloy

Hi all,

I found this very cheap Barlow for sale -- link -- and I was wondering if it was cheap for a reason. Is it worth it, or will I be throwing it in the trash shortly after its first use?

(Scope and EP details in my sig.)

Thanks,

Steve

Looks just like a SW 'Delux' 2x barlow that they bundle with the Explorer Newtonians. It is okay but probably not worth buying separately. Tal are the most widely regarded budget barlows, but I don't have one so can't compare directly.

I have the deluxe 2x that came with my scope and a tal 3x. Using the same ep and comparing the 2 barlows the tal wins every time in terms of clarity. Have to admit I have not had any luck imaging with the tal yet but its still early days

I wouldn't touch an unknown Barlow or any other lens. I can also confirm the Tal 2x Barlow is excellent. Definitely a Best Buy - I managed to grab one when FLO had a few in - they sold like hot cakes. The x3 went in a couple of days and I missed that - it was what I really wanted, having already got a 2x but it's a lot better so I'm happy :)

Thanks all. I was looking for something cheap to add to my Telrad order since the fixed postage charge takes up a considerable fraction of the total amount, but it sounds like it would not be money well spent.

Archived