Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Abandoned Quarry with startrails

Thanks! Still trying to get the hang of this but I'm happy with the results. Some pictures I saw online show a bit of star color but the only color I had was orange and I lost it when I removed the orange saturation to get rid of some light pollution.

I did it mostly by trial and error.

You need a DSLR with bulb mode, a tripod, an external shutter release with timer and a bit of patience. :)

Just put the camera on tripod. Turn off autofocus, switch live view on, zoom on a star and manual focus on it (put the lens on the widest aperture when doing this). Then stop the lens down to f/11 or so, switch to bulb mode, set the timer to about 25min and shoot. A low ISO is best since the long shutter time will get enough light.

For the foreground it depends if it's illuminated or not. This one was not so I used a tecnich called light painting. It's as simple as sweeping the foregrouund area with a flash light while the shutter is open. On this one I forgot the flash light at home so I used my cellphone's led.

Archived