First Light (kind of.... and only for a few minutes)

Finally got to use my Explorer 200P last night (after almost a week of ownership).

I was determined to get out there, even though it was very cloudy. There were one or two breaks in the clouds and I could see Jupiter so thought I'd get all set up. Unfortunately, by the time I'd got set up, the clouds had rolled in and there was nothing really to see.

I did manage to catch a few things but my finderscope must have been knocked out of alignment as the view was completely different.

I'm thinking now maybe I should have gone for the Dob, as it doesn't require the setting up that the EQ5 does.

I'm going to try again today and set up the finderscope. It only has 2 screws and one sprung screw (!) which I can't alter. When I got it lined up yesterday, I found the 2 screws had to be quite loose to get it to line up, which is probably why it got knocked out of alignment.

Because of the clouds, I didn't get polar aligned, but I did point the tripod / mount North. What I did find though, was that when I was trying to point South towards Jupiter, I couldn't really get a comfortable position. Does it matter how you have the scope rotated in the brackets? I presume that when in the start position, the finderscope should be on top and the eyepiece to the side.

Also, what is the piggyback attachment for on the brackets?

Hi

You can rotate the tube in the cradles to your hearts content.

You will have to otherwise you'll find the focuser pointed at the floor on some occasions.

This is one of the shortfalls of an EQ mounting I'm afraid.

Cannot help you with the piggyback brackets but I'd assume they're for a guide scope for imaging.

Regards Steve

I have a dobsonian and EQ mount and each has it's own merits. I think with practice you'll find the EQ mount get easier to set up.

If you observe from the same place, you can mark the ground to aid polar allignment.

You can rotate the tube in the rings to get the eyepiece in a better position, adding another ring will hold the OTA while rotating. Rotating Rings for Reflector Telescopes

I'm assuming the piggyback mount you refer to is so you can mount a camera on top.

Was the 'O' ring fitted on the finder scope ? This acts as a pivot point.

I'm a complete newb! What's the O ring? I've just got the finder scope going into its bracket.

I've just adjusted it a bit and it seems much more secure now - I've pushed it much further into the bracket. After lunch I'll take it all outside and line it up. Think I'll also re-balance it and maybe even mark everything with a tiny bit of Tipp-Ex so that I don't have to keep re-adjusting things when I put the scope and weights back on the mount (I have to take these off to move it).

If it's the same as mine, there is a rubber O ring around the finderscope. This fits inside the finderscope holding sleeve towards the front end. If you haven't got one you can use rubber bands instead. My finderscope is a pretty loose fit too, and is a bit of a pain, but it does work pretty well once aligned.

Mark where the tripod legs are when set up correctly and level. That way once polar aligned it makes it easy next time to pop it back up close enough for observing almost instantly. With regard to polar aligning, make sure the mount is level and your Latitude is set on the scale on the alt bolt adjustment. If you don't manage to get it properly polar aligned that will give you a close-ish fighting chance. Now I've marked out positions for the tripod feet, and polar aligned it takes me no more than 5-10 mins to set up and it tracks good enough for me at this point. I know I would need to do a bit more for AP, but for observing it's fine.

Back to the finderscope, I'm going to look at mine soon and figure a modification or upgrade to the way it mounts, but the finder scope it's self I find is pretty good.

Was the 'O' ring fitted on the finder scope ? This acts as a pivot point.

Good call :)

This is very often forgotten because the instructions don't really mention it. Without it the finder will simply not hold it's alignment. A couple of rubber bands around the finder tube or I've even used rubber bands cut from an old cycle inner tube to replace the original rubber O ring. The rubber ring / bands hold the front end of the finder firmly in position in the finder mount. The two adjustable screws at the rear of the mount can then be used to tilt the finder to align it with the main scope. When properly set up the finder will maintain this alignment over some time.

Thats for the advice. Now I know what the O ring is and I have got it. It's still attached to the finderscope, but on checking the manual it only mentions it for setting up a refractor. The set up for the Reflector doesn't mention it at all.

If the weather stays ok for a little bit longer I'm going to get outside and set it all up, marking all the relevant points on the ground / mounting plate / scope / counterweight rod.

Thanks everyone.

Due to the rain (yes, I live near Manchester) I've had my scope set up in the kitchen this afternoon and marked with tape where the counterweights should go, together with tape markings on the mounting plate and tube rings.

Hopefully that should keep me near enough balanced without too much messing (until I attached my DSLR). I just need to get polar aligned and mark the ground where the tripod legs sit.

The weather seems to be clearing up a bit now, so hopefully I'll get to have another go tonight.

I've only had my scope a week, I used the following to do my polar alignment. It might not be 100% accurate, but I found it easy to use and has got me a lot closer than I was before. Just set up the latitude on your mount, then adjust the dec untill the circle in the polarscope matches the position shown on the chart (you set it to show telescope view so it's the right way up) and then alter the az bolts for side to side and prob fine tune the alt bolts till polaris is in the circle. Jobs a fish :)

http://myastroimages.com/Polar_FinderScope_by_Jason_Dale/

Well, I've just been out and........ Success!

Finder scope lined up so I lined up on Jupiter and was completely blown away by what I saw through the 10mm EP and 2x Barlow. Stunning. Even saw all 4 moons.

Great stuff! My first wow was Jupiter too. I've been out watching Io disappear round the back, it's my favorite subject at the minute. I have searched again for andromeda but failed again, but now the cloud is back with vengance so I'm having a quick brew with the house in darkness while I wait for another clear patch. Did you polar align to any degree? If you do, you'll find it easier to keep a target in sight. I find my best views of Jupiter are at 10mm, get to see some banding and all 4 moons in the one view filling the field of view quite nicely.

No, I didn't polar align tonight as I was just desperate to get out there and see Jupiter.

I did a quick alignment last night but then struggled to get the EQ mount pointed in the right direction. I ended up kneeling on the floor, looking up into the eyepiece.

Great stuff! My first wow was Jupiter too. I've been out watching Io disappear round the back, it's my favorite subject at the minute. I have searched again for andromeda but failed again, but now the cloud is back with vengance so I'm having a quick brew with the house in darkness while I wait for another clear patch. Did you polar align to any degree? If you do, you'll find it easier to keep a target in sight. I find my best views of Jupiter are at 10mm, get to see some banding and all 4 moons in the one view filling the field of view quite nicely.

I watched IO disappear although I'm wondering if went round the back or in front? Anyone able to answer that?

If you have light polluted skies like mine then Andromeda will appear as a faint smudge of light best viewed using a low powered eye piece.

Couple of things that might help, once you Polar Align mark the spot the tripod feet are sitting, so you don't have to align every time you put the scope out, i brought a large jubilee clip of e-bay, had a DIY plastic 1 metre measuring stick, cut it to size used the jubilee clip to hold this above the top OTA Ring, so when you spin the tube it doesn't drop down and therefore lose it point of balance. Think about a Telrad Finder there's some love'm some hate them, but for me there the best thing since sliced bread...

Telrad finder

Archived