Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

begginer help evostar 120

hey all, just a question regarding the size of an evostar 120 refractor :) i was at a local astronomy society public event tonight and was surprised by the sheer size of a setup a member had, it was the skywatcher 120 ed ds pro outfit scope on an eq5 mount and i was blown away it was HUGE! not in a negative way but compared to what i thought it was by through looking on flo and the members equipment gallery here it never seemed THAT big haha anyway im glad im not considering the 150 as that would be even bigger. so im looking at getting the evostar 120 not the ed ds pro just standerd evo 120 ota from flo for lunar n planetary visual work only, what i want to know is would this be the same size scope as the pro version i saw tonight as i really liked the size of the pro 120 on an eq5 i saw tonight as well as the weight altogether for lugging the set up around lol

thanks in advance.

Ash

I've had the Evostar and currently have an ED120 Pro. The ED scope is physically a bit shorter and lighter than the Evostar - it does not seem much lager than a 102mm scope to me.

I use my ED120 on an alt-azimuth mount for visual astronomy only.

They are both nice refractors but the ED shows more detail and contrast on planets because of the relative lack of chromatic abberation. The cost difference is large though mostly because the ED glass is much more expensive. The multi-coatings used on the ED are of a better quality than the Evostar.

I have an 120 on an EQ5 and it is quite big when you first see it! However for "lugging around" you can take it apart quite easily. The telescope tube (OTA) seperates as well as the mount itself from the tripod. You can also remove the counterweights and their shaft. The whole thing therefore breaks down into easily manageable parts, the heaviest of which are probably the individual counterweights (and for the ordinary 120 you only need one of these), and the most awkward to move part is the tube - mainly because you have to treat it with some care!

Hey every one thanks for the reply's so far! :)

Ive been humming and a ring for past two years over every scope imaginable slowly saving haha I eventually decided after seeing and looking at a few scopes I'm a refractor guy, I understand the cost compared to bang for buck reflectors or use of mak's and their size but in the end the un obstructed views and hardiness of the scope has won me over lol I do intend on getting a reflector at some point to compliment the 120 when i get one in the next month or so finally! been a long time coming.

capricorn: I thought that was the case but wasn't 100% sure as I've only ever had a second hand 80mm helios st scope haha

Nightfisher: you read my mind this was my next question lol! Ive been looking at this to get me started and read the positive reviews on here also:

First Light Optics - Baader Hyperion Zoom Eyepiece

or do you have any other suggestions to get me started? I take it id also need to budget in a moon filter? (P.s. CA docent bother me for visual use :) lol)

catweazal: Awesome you lucky ****** I should be able to order mine in the next month or so haha and if you could that would be great! as i mentioned Ive only ever had my second hand Helios st80 lol

John: Nice i did try to convince myself to get one but at the moment have not the funds :( (Just finished my masters so I'm skint haha) as well as the mount on top etc but I think from what I saw last night and the reviews I would defiantly at some point consider the ED version at a later date especially if i end up down the photography road haha

Bizibuilder: thanks for letting me know I was wondering how far it can all be stripped down for transport as I have a modern fiesta so i think it would all just fit in the back, or at least a flight case to put the scope and accessories into for the trips to my local dark sky's (not an official dark sight but really dark enough with full 360 views around the horizon lol)

thanks all if anyone can suggest anything else to compliment this setup or anything I might have overlooked Id be very grateful and thanks for all the help so far! :)

Best

Ash

Archived