Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2" eyepiece

andrew63

I'm thinking of getting the above, only used 1.25 in the past.

With a TV 32mm on my setup i get 2.15 deg. With something like a meade swa 28mm, aero 30mm or hyperion 31mm will be getting around 2.75 - 3 deg. How do the above compare with the TV plossl, especially in regards to sharpness?

thanks, andrew

I think all the eyepieces you list would compare very well with the TV 32mm for sharpness in a slow scope but the TV would stay sharper to the edge of the field once the scope gets faster than around F/6 I would think.

Of the 3 you list I particularly liked the Aero ED. I've used the 30mm and the 40mm and found it a very nice 2" eyepiece to use. It's also quite light for a 2" eyepiece which can be a bonus if balance is an issue.

As I assume we are talking about your Orion 102ED refractor here, can I ask what it's focal ratio is ?.

It's F7 John, so not too taxing - would be used on a porta so weight could be a consideration.

Thats quite a close spec to my Vixen ED102SS which is an F/6.5 ED doublet. It's lovely to browse around the stars with a low power, wide field eyepiece in the diagonal of scopes like this :)

In general, IMHO, any 2"eyepiece is better than a 1.25"...so no matter which one you end up getting you'll never look back!

I once had the misfortune to use a 1.25" eyepiece on a 500mm newtonian - what a waste!

Also, if you ever stick a DSLR onto it, you'll avoid vignetting with a 2" focuser.

Archived