Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

exit pupil contest

marcopolo

I wondered why I could see all the blood vessels on my retina and a few other odd bits when I was testing my Hyperion zoom with 2x Barlow at 8mm yesterday. Now I know. Magnification of 600/4=150. Exit pupil = 80/150 - less than half a mm! Far too much magnification for visual observing. The zoom on it's own for observing then. I was testing using a terrestrial object.

I get a 6.5mm exit pupil when I use my 31mm Nagler with my Orion Optics 10" F/4.8 newtonian. I'm just over 50 years old though so I guess my max will be closer to 5mm. I don't use this combination unless the skies are really dark.

Glad the article was helpful :)

Basically you want to aim for exit pupil from the eyepiece of 1mm to 5pm.

Yes, that gives me 8-40mm for my ED80 scope. Longest ATM is 28mm so I might get a longer FL EP later on. Very useful info :)

Am getting in a dark room 8.1mm and 40yr old with a mirror and ruler , just a 19 inch widescreen monitor lighting room. i spent 5 mins in darkened room to let eyes adjust a little more. under a 100w (1,900 lumens) i am getting a 3mm pupil.

guess i have owl vision, or its those carrots i was forced to eat as a younger child hehe.

Archived