Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

m42 lack of colour??

Daniel-K

hi this is my m42 taken with my new 500d it has 2.5 hours worth of data but seems to be lacking colour i dont use a LP filter but still i should be getting better than this i should think?darks were applied can any one tell me why my colours are so weak

post-18942-133877719824_thumb.jpg

Is your camera modded? If not you will struggle to pick up the Ha especially when there is so much reflection nebulosity around.

If you are using photoshop here is a very good way to pull out some red. Under image change the mode from RGB to LAB. You will need to create a new instance of your image to enable you to see the changes you are going to make as you go along. Depends on your version but normally under the window menu, a sub menu at the top enables you to create a new version (sorry I don't have PS in front of me at the mo). Move you original working image away into a corner but make sure this is the highlighted image. Under channels select the A channel. Your image will be greyed out but your new instance will display as normal. Now go to brightness and contrast adjustments and slide the contrast slider over to the right. The red should start to pop out looking at the new instance pic. Don't over do it and keep an eye on your stars. Once done close the new instance image and click on the combined LAB in the channel palette to restore your image. Return to RGB mode. This method will generate less noise and produce less colour casting than messing with saturation and colour balance.

I'll second Martin's method, which is now step number 2 in my workflow after the levels and curves routine (which won't increase colour.) I know Tom O'D likes it as well so we owe Martin our thanks! You can also use saturation but it is a noise booster best applied only to areas of strong signal. And there's Colour Match (in Image-Adjustments) where the Colour Intensity slider can be quite nice.

To boost star colour just binging down the brightness of the cores can help.

Olly

That I don't know but I think you should save in Adobe RGB and do your processing with that as your colour preference in Ps. Only at the end do I now switch to sRGB and adjust the colour saturation and balance for saving on the net.

Olly

Ideally flats shoudl be taken without any changes to the optical setup, camera orientation, focus etc if you want to get teh most from them - correcting for uneven illumination and and dirst inthe optical train...

if you want to reduce the vignetting you may get away with taking them later but any changes will shown up...

Anything you can do to increase the clear aperture in the camera connection will help reduce the ammount of vignetting...

Peter...

Just to add... it ain't the 500D that is the problem... the M42 in my sig was taken with a 500D.

If upping saturation in DSS doesnt help then playing with saturation levels in Photoshop should do it.

Ben

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

im proceesing it the same way i processed it with my modded dslr i bought the 500d becasue my old dslr was only 6mp and didnt have live veiw heres a pic of my old m42.i have go back and restacked eveything with default settings in DSS but just still the same pasty colours

post-18942-133877720187_thumb.jpg

im proceesing it the same way i processed it with my modded dslr i bought the 500d becasue my old dslr was only 6mp and didnt have live veiw heres a pic of my old m42.i have go back and restacked eveything with default settings in DSS but just still the same pasty colours

Pm sent.

cheers

bob

Archived