Skywatcher 250PX - but no mount!

Help!

Following a rather strange series of events, I've got a Skywatcher 250PX sitting in my garage that I'd really quite like to have a look through - but nothing to mount it on!

Having looked at a few online dealers, these big scopes are all mounted on £1000 electronic beasts, and I really can't afford that (I'm guessing it's because of the weight?). I really just want something I can chuck in the garden so me and the kids can have a look at the moon and maybe a planet or two!

Does anyone have any cunning ideas? I can spend a few quid, but I'd really rather not spend thousands!

Thanks in advance.

Hi the easiest thing to do is build a dobsonian mount from wood, its not technical and the bearing surfaces can be easily constructed from any disc shaped object (cut down sauce pans) and silicon chopping boards. These mounts are great and the 250px tube is available on one new. Should cost less than £60 and three or four hours to make.

Hi the easiest thing to do is build a dobsonian mount from wood, its not technical and the bearing surfaces can be easily constructed from any disc shaped object (cut down sauce pans) and silicon chopping boards. These mounts are great and the 250px tube is available on one new. Should cost less than £60 and three or four hours to make.

LeeB,

do you mean just cutting 2 chopping boards and fitting them between the top and bottom base pieces? this is instead of lazy susan bearings/teflon pads/furniture glides etc? Have you tried this? Thanks

Bart

Archived