What is the best value GOTO refractor for a noob?

I personally think you might be missing out a bit if you just sit indoors with your Goto outside. Theres nothing quite like the ritual of putting about five layers of clothes on and going out under the stars with a non Goto looking for targets from your star chart, spending a bit of time actually finding the objects because this can be tricky, then getting the buzz from finding them, enjoying them (then a lot more recently for me imaging them), then coming inside for a nice mug of hot tea!! :)

Ammendment: Sorry, I didn't read the end of the thread before posting, I see that this has already been covered.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Could someone advise or recommend a reflector which can be controlled by PC?I'm looking to create a candidate list of scopes.

It's not so much the scope as the mount which can be computer controlled. From the Skywatcher range I know the HEQ5 and EQ6 can, possibly the EQ5 can as well, but I'm not sure about that. Other manufacturers I have no idea, but I'm sure others will be able to advise.

I think it's been answered before but you can image with most of the newts using a webcam. The SW 130p (First Light Optics - Skywatcher Explorer 130P SynScan AZ GOTO ) is a good option as is the First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skymax 127 SynScan AZ GOTO but I understand you want to be able to remotely control the mount so you can sit inside and view the images. Almost all of the current Gotos will let you do this. I'm not sure what more info you need as most of the options have been covered.

By the way, I have just read the OP's post again about his daughter sitting inside and "viewing" images. Now I am confused. Do you want to image or remotely view because they are different things. You will not get a very good image for viewing from a webcam. The image only really becomes good once you have recorded a video and stacked and processed that video.

Well I honestly don't think you are going to get any results for remotely viewing for your budget. the images do not look good or clear on a laptop connected to a webcam such as the MS Lifecam or Phillips 900. The images only become clear after processing.

Most people use the Phillips 900 webcam (if you can get one) or the Lifecam I think. As for wireless. That is a whole new ball game!

To be honest I think all of your questions have been answered on this thread.

Hi dazzst

On Page 74 of this months Astronomy Now is a review of the Celestron skyprodigy 130. This reflector will self align with its "starsense" function and with a camera, some software and the necessary connections (physical or wireless or whatever) will give you the ability to take a limited set of images. (planetary, lunar and very bright DSOs)

I reckon this scope supplies the absolute minimum time outside you are after and offers the least hassle for an absolute beginner.

The cons are, the lack of equatorial tracking required for most deep space imaging, the poor viewing you will get at the laptop screen and finally the price - 799 GBP

The scope review i mentioned earlier is written by a seasoned astronomer and he highly recommends it for newcomers such as yourself.

I know this is far out of your price spec, but having just read the review and your wants - they seem to be a good match.

The wireless part will be the one you will struggle with.

check out this report on wireless USB

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/whatever-happened-to-wireless-usb-hdmi--994212

You will need a PC running outside to do what you need unless you come across a wireless USB hub that has been launched in the UK since the above report. Even then the range will probably not be enough.

Regards

Kevin

There is something called "video astronomy". It's not exactly imaging which takes long exposures and requires careful preparation. It uses some very sensitive cameras but you'd still need a large aperture telescope and a fully automated mount. Each part of the equation would cost about £600, and there are 3 parts (camera, telescope, mount).

http://www.modernastronomy.com/camerasAstroVideo.html#watec120n

I'm a complete novice, and after much advice from F1 Telescopes purcased a Celestron Nexstar 102 SLT. Really pleased with it, I can just pop it in the car and go somewhere dark. It's really easy to use, and a pretty reasonable price (£350).....just wish it had come with a 'clear skies' guarentee!!!!

I'm a complete novice, and after much advice from F1 Telescopes purcased a Celestron Nexstar 102 SLT. Really pleased with it, I can just pop it in the car and go somewhere dark. It's really easy to use, and a pretty reasonable price (£350).....just wish it had come with a 'clear skies' guarentee!!!!

I think all scopes actually come with a "cloudy skies" guarantee! :icon_salut:

Archived