What is the best value GOTO refractor for a noob?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
want a GOTO

Thats fine. A 102mm refractor will not show some of the objects that are in the database though, and many might seem unimpressive.

Unfortunately most of your budget will be going on the mount rather than the optics, which are what show the views of course.

Would you consider another scope type, like a newtonian reflector, on a GOTO ? - you can get more aperture (size of main mirror or lens) for your money then.

I'll agree with John, pointing at them is one thing, actually seeing what it's pointing at is another. I can guarantee you that you will see much, much more in a couple of nights with a 20cm mirror than you would ever see in a refracting goto. in your budget.

Thanks for all the replies. I was under the impression that a refractor has twice the light gathering power of a reflector. If I'm wrong (probably am!) then as long as I have GOTO I'm not bothered whether it's a lens or a mirror. In other words, GOTO is the major factor here.

This is imo a better scope than the refractor First Light Optics - Celestron Nexstar 127 SLT or the skymax 127 synscan. Although I like te slt mount better. It has better optics no fuss with collimation not as wide a view but the moon and planets will be brighter as will glob clusters. the problem with cheap refractors is that on bright objects you can get a lot of false colour and quality will drop off sharply at the edge of field. Have a look at the celestron slt series and their skywatcher counterparts. personally I prefer the slt mounts but there isn't a lot on it

a refractor has twice the light gathering power of a reflector

Well, the reflector loses some light because of the obstruction of the secondary but the ratio never gets as high as that (for the same size of primary optic).

Consider that a doublet refractor has 4 sides of glass to figure and polish to the reflector's one and you can see why one pays so much more for refractors.

By the way the stories you have read about a refractor being twice as good as a reflector is only true of very expensive refractors and and being of equal apparture. it is true that a 5" apo refractor would blow the socks off a 5" reflector but it would cost 10x more

Thanks for all the replies. I was under the impression that a refractor has twice the light gathering power of a reflector. If I'm wrong (probably am!) then as long as I have GOTO I'm not bothered whether it's a lens or a mirror. In other words, GOTO is the major factor here.

Thing is - and folk might disagree with me here - If you get into this hobby then a sub £400 goto unit won't scratch the itch for very long in which case you'll want to spend money again pretty soon and for the sake of arguments, perhaps another £400.

If you were to buy something like a 200P Dobsonian, you're already £130 down on what you're willing to spend. If it doesn't pan out for you then it's the Volkswagen of the telescope world, it's highly sought after and holds it's value fairly well so you can sell it on if you wanted to. if it does become something you love you can take your £130, plus what you perhaps would be willing to spend and mount it on a very decent goto mount and have a setup that will give you high quality views, excellent tracking and goto capabilities and above all the aperture to see thousands of objects.

My thoughts which provide minimum spend now for very decent views and have excellent upgrade options to being a main BIG telescope which will keep you happy for years and years.

It is true that the dob will give a better view of everything. But size isn't your only determining factor. You need to look at how you will be using it, planets, deep space. where you will be using it. home, out and about and of course where to store it. the 200p is a great scope but it's not portable, transportable but not portable. it's not the only scope out there but is in my opinion the best for the price nothing under £400 comes close to the views of this scope but it is big and it doesn't have goto

Archived