Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Advice on EP's for fast Newt

I have 2 swan 70 degree EP's and I must admit they do not seem to be the right choice for my 8" f5 Newt. Any recomendations (mid price) for good plossls to use with this scope?.

Thanks

Rob

I've got a Hyperion, it's the business in my 8". A cheaper option you may condsider is the Antares W70, I've got the 15mm and it does go a bit off at the edges but apparently they've got a new design which counteracts this in faster newts. TMB planetaries are supposed to be excellent in fast newts too. Bit steep though at £80 a pop though.

Until you get into nagler/panoptic money the hyperions are your best bet for a widefield eyepiece (£80 new, cheaper second hand if you can find them). If you are willing to go back down to 50 degrees then look at the TV plossls (£75 new, about £40-£60 second hand)

Until you get into nagler/panoptic money the hyperions are your best bet for a widefield eyepiece (£80 new, cheaper second hand if you can find them). If you are willing to go back down to 50 degrees then look at the TV plossls (£75 new, about £40-£60 second hand)

I second that...

however i choose a N13T6 over a Hyp 13. Main raison the better correction and much smaller...

I have an F/4.5.....

The Hyperion's are a great choice for a fast scope if you still want a widefield eyepiece. Hmm shame I just sold two Hyperions (8mm & 21mm). TMB Planetary eyepieces are the business in fast scopes, I personally prefer them to Hyperions and they are cheaper (just - £67).

As Gordon said, TV Plossls are top notch, and Celestron Ultima/Orion Ultrascopic better still. That is if you don't mind a FOV shrink.

Russ

Stick with better known eyepieces in my mind.... The review says:

Bottom line: It is unrealistic to expect a $99 low power wide field eyepiece to match the performance of a premium eyepiece like a Pentax. The Smart Astronomy EF27 however, met my expectations for a $99 eyepiece. With the possible exception of performance issues with telescopes faster than F6.

Get the Hyperion Rob. By the time you've paid the £39, plus delivery and then risk the chance of Tax you could of bought a 21mm Hyperion from Steve. And got yourself a proven fast scope performer. This 27mm eyepiece would not be a good move in an F5.

Ditch the Swans and buy a decent fast scope eyepiece!!!!!!

Russ

Archived