Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC3239 and Supernova SN2012A

DarkerSky

Managed to (eventually) track down this 12th magnitude galaxy in Leo on 16 January. Not an easy spot with poor sky transparency. Got it though in the end and saw the wonderful twinkling of supernova SN2012A in the faint fuzziness of the galaxy.

Sketched from 16" x188 magnifcation, plus neodymium filter. The supernova is the point of light buried within the galaxy fuzz to the right of the brightest star in the triangle. A faint puff of light was also seen below the main galaxy. After I came in I found that NGC 3239 is classed irregular, and that the puff of light below it is part of the galaxy itself.

NGC3239SN2012A.png

• 2 weeks later...

Darker sky

Thats pretty much my view from tonight but I had the other loan star to the left of the triangle and I did not see the puff of light from the galaxy just a fairly even glow to the right and down from the brightest star of the triangle.

The supernova is superb as you say glinting out from the galaxy at times with averted vision in my 10 inch scope.

Certainly a tough one almost at the limit of my visual abilities..

Worth the effort though.

Mark

Thanks for the kind comments. This is my third supernova ever! Its quite awe inspiring seeing them in the eyepiece :D

Nice sketch! Seeing a supernova is inspiring, isn't it. Congrats on getting this one. I doubt my C8 will be up to it, but very clear skies are forecast for tomorrow, and I am going to give it a shot outside the city, and when the moon has set.

Archived